Who do you use for Payroll Service?

SPODE

Reaction score
I have been with Paychex since 2017. For the most part they are good. But twice a year something goes sideways.

In March after I submitted the proper request to change my source back for payroll what happened? They tried to run it through the old closed account. I was on vacation and from my air BnB had to play the phone game for two hours for them to figure it out.  All my guys got paid 3 days late, I was charged a late filing fee by Paychex themselves. 

Then this summer they transposed a bank account number when submitting my payroll taxes and it was like that for 2 months. Once again they froze my account and took forever to figure that out.

Then today it happened again.  The largest most anticipated payroll as I pay my guys holiday pay, year end bonuses, commissions and regular pay they froze my account so it did not go through. After 4 hours of phone tag they confessed it was an accident.  And once again my guys would not get paid until the day after Christmas and I would be charged that late fee AGAIN!

I kept my cool (man that was hard) went into my account for the totals and just hand wrote checks all morning to get my guys their hard earned monies. 

Yes, I am now ready to find another service. Any recommendations? 

Thanks in advance. 

-=gino

Last edited by a moderator:
We use Heartland, So far no issues. Although we have had three times in the last year that things were late and by late I mean the notification Email didn't happen at 11:59am like usual they went out at 7am. Now one time the email didn't go out and the deposits didn't hit our accounts by the time the sun came up but by the time we could get a hold of somebody to see what was up, they said it was a glitch and had been corrected and out deposits hit the accounts before 9am.

I use SurePayroll (2 years), have had no issues unless it was my fault. I input all hours/vaca/sick/bonuses/commission/etc. I now see they are a division of paychex.🤷‍♂️ takes me about 10mins for 30 employees 2x/month. 
understand the 3 day thing and writing a check so they can get their pay. (Did one today, and then have to remember to input into positive pay fraud deal, so they don’t get rejected)

I’m not sure how big your company is, but I use Quickbooks Pro and do my own payroll. I pay my state and federal taxes and do my own quarterly filings as well. It’s pretty easy, but I only have 8-10 employees at any given time. 

Depends on the how many employees. We have 8 employees, 2 are salaried and we use Gusto. Super easy and affordable

Adp totalsource. They have great HR Dept,  payroll is easy, they handle everything from workman's comp  to medical and dental package. Cheaper than other providers. Quick and responsive. 25 FT employee, 2 independent contractors 

I've been using Patriot for payroll for two years. But it's just me, my son and daughter. So far zero issues. Website is easy to navigate.

My son didn't get his direct deposit once and I called them. Actually got a real person on the phone within a couple minutes. He was very helpful and got it straightened out quickly.

I have used ADP and Gusto - if you have a small number of employees Gusto is simple with a modern UI, great customer service and above all...  cheap.

If you need services like HR and workmans comp  ADP is better IMO

ADP Totalsource.  Have a dedicated rep with support for everything from workers comp, payroll, even legal issues. 

ADP as well for me and I have never had a issue, Another good thing about them is if you don't use direct deposit they will hand deliver your checks. Not sure if they still offer that.

I appreciate all of your comments guys. 

Even after the debacle two weeks ago they did it again this week transposing one of my routing numbers! LOL.

I am so gone. Gonna try APD. 

I used a small local company, Wells Fargo, Paychex and both didn't come close to the company I finally found. Pay.net in San Diego. Less expensive and better customer service. Been retired for awhile so who knows now. 

QuikBooks (in house) 30 years. Peace

UPDATE 2/9/24:

I want to thank all of you for your advice. I ended up going with ADP. I have been working on getting everything transferred over from Paychex these last few weeks (Mama says Paychex is THE DEVIL).

I am so impressed at their level of customer service.  One thing in particular was I just gave my rep the Log In info for Paychex and she transferred everything over, hire dates, bank info, tax info etc. for me. 

Also their site is so user friendly compared to Paychex. You have to be freaking Watson to figure our anything on the Paychex site. 

Since 2017 Paychex had caused me tons of stress at least twice a year as they mismanaged everything from bank account info to actual departments.  And for some reason it was ALWAYS when I was on vacation. Many times causing my employees whom I value highly to get paid late. That's why I left. 

Again thank you guys. Always good peeps here. 

Congrats on the right decision. Nothing like feeling confident with a hired outsider. Peace

Back