Which steering shaft mount?

Jammer75

Reaction score
I've been using this and it is sloppy at best

p_37039_01.jpg

, I bought a new one and was better but in less than a year it is sloppy--sand in the bushings, stiff, wd-40, dirty, more sand. 

I'm going to add EPS with my new Gear One rack (thanks Glamis Veteran's Auction) and want to get this nice and smooth feel in the steering. I see the weld on ones,

p_37228_01.jpg

that have the bushings and maybe there a little better because they have a longer area for the shaft to ride on.

Then I see the same ones but with needle bearings and a seal,

d_38907.jpg

which is what I think I want but seems they are all out of stock and a lot harder to find.

Unless there is something else I don't know about that would work good for a long time....?

Thanks

Nice set up both ways....

keep em coming

I've been using this and it is sloppy at best

, I bought a new one and was better but in less than a year it is sloppy--sand in the bushings, stiff, wd-40, dirty, more sand. 

I'm going to add EPS with my new Gear One rack (thanks Glamis Veteran's Auction) and want to get this nice and smooth feel in the steering. I see the weld on ones,

that have the bushings and maybe there a little better because they have a longer area for the shaft to ride on.

Then I see the same ones but with needle bearings and a seal,

which is what I think I want but seems they are all out of stock and a lot harder to find.

Unless there is something else I don't know about that would work good for a long time....?

Thanks
I used this one on my vee wee and it worked fine.  I only used it for about a year or 2 then I sold the buggy. 

I didn't do any of those. I mounted the entire e-steer system at that upper cross tube. 

Now it has a gauge style dash pod that covers it up over the dash. Looks great but useless lol

20220928_131452.jpg

When we tab a car i really like having the ballbearings, for me it just seems smoother over time, 

When we tab a car i really like having the ballbearings, for me it just seems smoother over time, 
Would that be the blitzkrieg one referenced above from kartek?

if  you are doing the heim joint style they work good also BUT it take a special loose fit heim joint for the shaft to slim into, so mare sure you get the correct heim joint, 

if  you are doing the heim joint style they work good also BUT it take a special loose fit heim joint for the shaft to slim into, so mare sure you get the correct heim joint, 
Thinking the blitzkrieg looks like the best option. 

I didn't do any of those. I mounted the entire e-steer system at that upper cross tube. 

Now it has a gauge style dash pod that covers it up over the dash. Looks great but useless lol

View attachment 63674
You may want to rethink the location of your assist motor, it wants only rotational input and not any additional side forces placed on the input shaft. The torque sensor is a sensitive electrical device. Side loading the input shaft from the steering wheel may not be the best thing for it. 

You may want to rethink the location of your assist motor, it wants only rotational input and not any additional side forces placed on the input shaft. The torque sensor is a sensitive electrical device. Side loading the input shaft from the steering wheel may not be the best thing for it. 
Interesting. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks! 

Back