Wheel Studs

Stinky

Reaction score
I just got an old-school sand/street car w/a swingaxle trans.  Would there be any advantage to replacing the VW style lugnuts with studs? 

Every other car, and trailer that I've had, has had studs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jmho,  but all the it does is hold the wheel on.  I would not spend money changing it, just to change it.  

But, if something needed fixing I would go towards studs.  

If you’re saying the current stuff are wheel bolts?  If so then yes change them to studs. The cast drum has weak threads. The stud may require drilling the drum and pressing them in but far better than a wheel bolt

Advantage: no more throwing tools in frustration since I doubt you have hub-centric wheels... :biggrin:

The main thing, that I was thinking of was getting the holes lined up...easier to stick em on a stud.

Supposedly, bolts are stronger than studs....but for everything else, including trucks weighing over 5,000, studs seem to work just fine.

Need to watch for stud's heads hitting stuff inside the drum

I would put studs in it. The first time you have to put a non hub centric wheel on with lug bolts, you will be annoyed to say the least.

Yes very easy to drill them out on a drill press and press them in with a press, but if you don't have access to a press you can use a lug nut and an impact with a stack of flat washers and WD-40 to reduce the rolling torque. Used to do this a lot on Class 9 and 1-2 1600 cars. Cast iron threads in the drum are marginal at best with a stock VW skinny tire and wheel, NFG for anything bigger. Check the clearance to your brake shoes from the head of the stud, probably OK but if needed hit them with a sanding disc on a hand grinder,

Back