Wheel stud stripped out of hub, Can it be repaired?

LtPyro

Reaction score
When I was at the dyno shop last week, they stripped a wheel stud out of the hub when removing the wheels.  All the knurling is gone.  Is there any way to repair it and get the stud back in?  Or am I going to have to purchase new hubs?

Thanks  

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe you can measure the stud hole and go to Napa and they can try and get you a new stud with same lug nut size just bigger splines.  Thats what I did for my Subi, but then again Im not pushing the HP you probably are. 

You should be able to. I believe @Jtmoney714 just put new studs in his rear hubs. You will need a press to remove and reinstall them.

Do you have micro stubs? I may have a spare hat for you. 

What @JBL said.  Take the hub down to NAPA or wherever, find the next size up on the knurling and press it home.  

You could have a fabricator Tig weld up the hole a bit and redrill it to the correct size if you can't find a stud to work. 

I believe I do.  I’m on my way to Havasu to visit family.  I’ll get a pic of it when I get home.  

You should be able to. I believe @Jtmoney714 just put new studs in his rear hubs. You will need a press to remove and reinstall them.
It’s unfortunately beyond just pressing a new one in.  It’ll be either a larger one or replace is my guess.

Here are some bad pics lol.  I’ll have time this afternoon when home from work to remove the wheel and get better pics.

6313E35B-C4B7-44CA-9B94-702984DA7CDC.jpeg

5C24B365-AFA4-4108-9FAF-A9A963A1C43E.jpeg

B397E2DB-A620-497C-B54F-3BEF122692D8.jpeg

Gonna need the next size up.  Have the stripped one still?

You can get a stud with a bigger knurl but retain the stud size (consult a Dormann catalog), the stud is likely 14 x 1.50. If you go that route I'd ream the hole to the new knurl size (there will be an exact specification for hole size depending on what material it is being pressed into, smaller for aluminum and bigger for steel) drilling it can be tricky and it may end up off center or crooked, you want the stud to be perpendicular to the flange face and not at an angle. It's best to remove the wheel flange and perform repairs with a mill or drill press, and then use a press to reinstall the new stud. You may get lucky and find a replacement stud with larger knurl and not have to enlarge the existing hole. An adjustable reamer is the best way to enlarge the hole IMO if you need to though, and press in the new stud DO NOT use a lug nut to pull it in. If you don't have access to a press you must use a thrust bearing and washer under a nut lubed with anti-seize to pull in the stud. The flange is aluminum and very easy to fawk it up. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back