What’s this noise…? Subi 2.0t

Jammer75

Reaction score
See video 

Car was running great all weekend. Started up Sunday morning for kiddie ride. Heard noise but goes away on throttle up. Ride to olds and back no issues (wasn’t making noise before ride back to camp) pulled off trailer at home and seemed to be louder.

-belt stretched?

-idler bearings (seem fine)

-belt tensioner fail (old style)

-internal

not sure which direction to start. Car drive and performed like normal other than the can of rocks. 

IMG_0149.MOV

IMG_0147.MOV

IMG_0151.MOV

Attachments

best guess is the tensioner bearing collar is stuck with sand, not the tensioner itself

When I unbolted the tensioner it was pretty uneventful. When I unbolted the bearing it moved once I loosened the bolt. It spins, but can I check its operation?

Or best to replace (would like to if that’s the problem along with the other bearings and belt (reg. maintenance anyway), water pump is about 1-2 years old and crank sprocket is 1 year old (feels fine). 

BE76BC16-B5F8-4894-9318-6ACB7ADBD3A1.jpeg

837BF456-97D3-4689-B611-7602B8ED3A1C.jpeg

Seeing how loose the belt was, that would scare me.  I would definitely look at ur tensioner.  Did the timing marks all line up when u took the tensioner off?

Seeing how loose the belt was, that would scare me.  I would definitely look at ur tensioner.  Did the timing marks all line up when u took the tensioner off?
Yes and I remarked the belt in case I need to reinstall for testing purposes. The bolt that holds a tensioner pulley on was hard to turn in the bearing hole. Looks like dried up grease and probably a bit of sand. But knowing how much pressure the tensioner itself puts out I would think it would have overcome that. 

@John@Outfront
does Outfront have what I need 

-belt

-2 regular idler bearings

-1 tension idler bearing 

-lower sprocket bearing

-tensioner (I’ve cranked this one in a couple times slowly for belt replacements, but maybe time for a new one?)

anything else I might have missed 

06A8184D-CAFF-4FDD-8DDE-EBF61FAE5107.jpeg

571D309A-90C9-4433-981B-2D2CD7A8C5E6.jpeg

the issue is the sleeve inside that bearing, that needs to move freely, push it out and see the sand and grit stopping the bearing from moving on the sleeve

i have all the parts you need regardless

Back