What size oil coiler are you 700-1000HP guys running?

r3meyer

Reaction score
I need to buy an oil cooler but not sure what size to get.  Summit has a ton of fan powered versions to choose from.  Anyone running that HP level that can give me a measurement or brand/part number?

Last edited by a moderator:
CBR sells some good coolers with fans.

Me and Punisher saw temp drops of 30F after installing them.

I have this Fluidyne unit I'd sell.  It's basically new. Used for a day in an industrial diesel application.  Has a 185* temp switch already in it to control the fan.  $600

Here is the fan detail.  It's a big dog...

simple answer is as big as you can, but make sure you use a thermostat - too cold oil is as bad as to hot  - maybe worse ..

setrab has a pretty good sizing tool

http://www.setrabusa.com/products/oilcoolers/engine/index.html

99%of the time I  run Setrabs  - never saw one blow out like Derale, CBRs seem very nice as well

this is my Setrab go to for anything under 1400HP \iFP948M22

But its a good idea to run a high volume/High pressure  oil pump as you will have a pressure drop and some restriction

I have seen people run two - but every time I pull a main bearing on one of those engines  - they show signs of starvation - just too much back pressure

The one thing people almost never consider is that oil has mass/weight and what orientation you place the cooler in is very important if you launch hard - you can starve the engine is only momentarily but that hard on the bearings

Ask any serious drag racer they will tell you they run higher pressure just because the weight of the fuel on hard acceleration will push the fuel back into the tank -  Oil acts the same 

I use this thermostat  ior the Earls Version on all LS's except aftermarket blocks like Dart and RHS - cheap insurance

https://www.improvedracing.com/low-profile-oil-cooler-thermostat-for-ls-engines.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwio6XBhCMARIsAC0u9aGXMsKmFCTDK4Uc3w2xy2kfozeiE6EbjtsQJoNndQmnSPVgbF0YsfYaAq-0EALw_wcB

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 8.17.00 PM.png

simple answer is as big as you can, but make sure you use a thermostat - too cold oil is as bad as to hot  - maybe worse ..

setrab has a pretty good sizing tool

http://www.setrabusa.com/products/oilcoolers/engine/index.html

99%of the time I  run Setrabs  - never saw one blow out like Derale, CBRs seem very nice as well

this is my Setrab go to for anything under 1400HP \iFP948M22

But its a good idea to run a high volume/High pressure  oil pump as you will have a pressure drop and some restriction

I have seen people run two - but every time I pull a main bearing on one of those engines  - they show signs of starvation - just too much back pressure

The one thing people almost never consider is that oil has mass/weight and what orientation you place the cooler in is very important if you launch hard - you can starve the engine is only momentarily but that hard on the bearings

Ask any serious drag racer they will tell you they run higher pressure just because the weight of the fuel on hard acceleration will push the fuel back into the tank -  Oil acts the same 

I use this thermostat  ior the Earls Version on all LS's except aftermarket blocks like Dart and RHS - cheap insurance

https://www.improvedracing.com/low-profile-oil-cooler-thermostat-for-ls-engines.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwio6XBhCMARIsAC0u9aGXMsKmFCTDK4Uc3w2xy2kfozeiE6EbjtsQJoNndQmnSPVgbF0YsfYaAq-0EALw_wcB

View attachment 38571
Cool I have a high output oil pump that was installed when the engine was built.  I just ordered that adapter.  Looks like it works great.

Oil cooler quality does matter, i tried a super cheap cooler, and it oil starved the motor, motor ran fine at 3000 rpm and as soon as you hit 5000 a couple times, then the oil pressure would go away for good, 3 rebuilds and it was the cooler, 

Go with a good one listed in the above posts 

Oil cooler quality does matter, i tried a super cheap cooler, and it oil starved the motor, motor ran fine at 3000 rpm and as soon as you hit 5000 a couple times, then the oil pressure would go away for good, 3 rebuilds and it was the cooler, 

Go with a good one listed in the above posts 
I bet an expensive oil cooler is cheaper than one of those rebuilds

Ouch.. and good real-world advice

I bet an expensive oil cooler is cheaper than one of those rebuilds

# times we went into the motor, something with the Fin design inside the cooler was oil aeratio, so it would hold oil pressure, then whip out the bearings in one day, so oil pressure was good then gone, 

Yes a good quality part is cheaper than a rebuild, 

Back