What size brake masters

Jtmoney714

Reaction score
I’m redoing my whole brake set up and going with dual masters and and 4 piston calipers all the way around. Floor mounted pedals. I only ever use brakes to make an abrupt stop and I like the fronts to lock up ASAP. What size masters should I go with? 

no bigger than 3/4 each one, i would vote 5/8 or a combo of 5/8 and 3/4 ill have to look on mine  remember the smaller the master the more braking power you have but pedal movement is increased

Dual 5/8         pi x (.625x.5) squared=.306 square " x2 masters =  .612 square " (this is the closest to a typical single 7/8 master commonly found)

Dual 5/8 and 3/4 combo    .306 + .442 =                                           .748 square inches 

Dual 3/4         pi x (.75x.5) squared =.442 square " x2 masters =     .884 square inches

single 7/8       pi x (.875x.5) squared =                                                .653 square inches  (probably what you have now)

single 1"          pi x (1x.5) squared =                                                       .785 square inches

no bigger than 3/4 each one, i would vote 5/8 or a combo of 5/8 and 3/4 ill have to look on mine  remember the smaller the master the more braking power you have but pedal movement is increased

Dual 5/8         pi x (.625x.5) squared=.306 square " x2 masters =  .612 square " (this is the closest to a typical single 7/8 master commonly found)

Dual 5/8 and 3/4 combo    .306 + .442 =                                           .748 square inches 

Dual 3/4         pi x (.75x.5) squared =.442 square " x2 masters =     .884 square inches

single 7/8       pi x (.875x.5) squared =                                                .653 square inches  (probably what you have now)

single 1"          pi x (1x.5) squared =                                                       .785 square inches
That’s good info. What would be the downside of the extra pedal throw?

some people like a firm pedal right away and up high,  i prefer more braking power and sacrifice a little more pedal any day
I follow that. Next variable would be that I’m all braided line. And no plans on changing that. Would the 3/4 or would 5/8 be more optimal? Or does that not have any effect?

I follow that. Next variable would be that I’m all braided line. And no plans on changing that. Would the 3/4 or would 5/8 be more optimal? Or does that not have any effect?
some say there is no expansion on braided line. but if you have 10 feet of it i cant imagine there isnt a little.  if it has expansion then you will have more pedal throw but doesnt make any difference on braking performance, just a lower pedal, perhaps a little more "spongy" .  

some say there is no expansion on braided line. but if you have 10 feet of it i cant imagine there isnt a little.  if it has expansion then you will have more pedal throw but doesnt make any difference on braking performance, just a lower pedal, perhaps a little more "spongy" .  
Thanks for taking the time to pass on this info!

Back