What is wrong w/my math?

Stinky

Reaction score
Every time I change my oil, I notice this.  It is pretty much a constant.

Today I change the oil on 2 of my cars.  Together they hold 9.5 Qts,  They both have smallish oil filters....no more than .75 Qt., but probably a pint.  I put the oil in, and then dump out the pan in to the old gallon bottle.  Then I put the next leftover in another...and I don't measure it, but I immediately stand the pan up, and I barely get anything  out....so, It seems as if I get, 7 qts, tops, maybe more like 6, plus 1.5 Qts in the filter.  This means, at the very least, I am missing .5 Qt, maybe as much as 1.5Qt.   

Often, I'll do one car and put it back in to a gallon, or 5 Qt container and there is a lot of room left over.

I never get as much oil out, as what I put in....am I making it up?

Not that your cars are, but I believe there is a certain amount of consumption, even in newer cars.

If I recall when I read about my wife's Tahoe GM said it was "acceptable" that it would consumed up to 1 qt between oil changes.

I am sure someone with more expertise will chime in on this though 😁

My truck holds 3 gallons, it normally drains put 2.5.  That means in 5000 miles it loses 2 quarts.  It just turned 250k so I've done a few oil changes in it. 

All of my Ford vehicles consumed roughly 1 qt for every 1,000 mi. All of my Toyota vehicles never consumed any oil throughout their lifetimes. This was based on checking the dipsticks periodically. 

All auto manufactures say some oil consumption is normal. As much as 1qt. every 800-1000 miles for some brands.  

My truck holds 3 gallons, it normally drains put 2.5.  That means in 5000 miles it loses 2 quarts.  It just turned 250k so I've done a few oil changes in it. 
You are destroying the ozone layer and killing children and grandmas the world over.  I bet you/re unvaccinated too!!!

This post is racist. I don't know how yet but I am sure it has something to do with the infrastructure bill and using it to repair racist roads. Shame ......

Have you tried checking the dipstick before you drain the oil? Seems you are burning up to a quart between oil changes which has been normal for all of the vehicles I own except for the new ones. Over time motors will begin to burn oil.

We are talking about Jap-crap.  In this case a Nissan 3.0 V6 and a Camry 2.2....

Absolutely no need to check the oil, in a 5K oil change, they dont come down on the stick, at all.

My Ody 3.5....at 286K, it didn't use a drop in 5K.

You sure your measuring the old oil correctly after u drain it? Some new oil containers have alot of extra room in them. The 1gal jugs of oil I use for my work truck actually hold 5qts if you refill them to the very top with the old oil. 

You sure your measuring the old oil correctly after u drain it? Some new oil containers have alot of extra room in them. The 1gal jugs of oil I use for my work truck actually hold 5qts if you refill them to the very top with the old oil. 
This

Back