What is high mileage on a diesel pusher??

Punchdrunk Monkey

Reaction score
I ran across a 2012 Newmar Ventana that has 112,000 miles on it. I immediately blew it off as too high of mileage. It has the Cummins 360hp ISB and Allison 3000 transmission. I am guessing that is not too bad for the drivetrain but that is a lot of miles on the chassis. Or am I wrong??? @HEADINJURY what is your opinion?? It is the original owner and they say they have all the maintenance records. Is there anything I should be looking for? I have always owned gasser motorhomes. 

My last pusher had 113k miles it was a 2002 w/ ISC. Never had drivetrain issues. 

IMO an ISB is getting flogged in a motorhome especially when towing. That being said its a solid engine. I'd be as concerned about how clapped out the interior may be from that much use. 

If I was considering it I would take it to a Cummins dealer and have them run diagnostics on it. You want to know how much fuel has been ran through it. That will tell you how hard it has been run. For instance if it averaged 5mpg vs 8mpg would tell you it has been run hard. 

interior is easy. Easy to tell if it’s been taken care of. 

I would say the drivetrain is good,  It's the rest of the coach I would worry about.  My folks have a 2019 Newmar Ventana with about 11k miles on it that they purchased used from a dealer.  It's now in the shop for the 5th time since they purchased it. So Far, they have had electrical issues and leaky roof issues. Wifi ranger wont work and was obsolete when they purchased it,  The roof has a leak right over the driver seat.  They are now trying to pressurize the coach and have a guy on the roof listening for leaks.  It's getting a little frustrating because they have only been able to use the coach twice since they got it.

Sounds like it has been used well... which is usually a good thing, depending on how they were about maintenance.

A bit on the high side considering its age.  Depends on if you plan to keep it a longgg time, or if you are worried about resale.... because once they start getting into the 150's, resale starts to decline pretty quickly. 

Back