What GPS is everyone using?

ChasingSand

Reaction score
Looking to add a GPS unit to my car this off season. What is everyone using. I dont want to use my phone or an Ipad. looking for a stand alone unit.

Ill tell you a secret i have been using for a few years. The older Lowrance units are inexpensive, basic to use and just work really well. You can find them on ebay and other used places. They have large screens, have SD card slots and are made for the elements. Dont tell too many people as i dont want the prices of these going through the roof. LOL

example below.

1726691146056.png

My setup, LCX-110c, ride command and my phone set to On-X.

Its nice to have a large screen to see major direction, Ride command for trail and on my phone (green light is charger/holder) On-x to zoom into possible alternate routes or cool trails.

IMG_6616.jpeg

The new Garmin Tread XL is nice. I have a Lowrance that works great in the dunes. Map detail is nothing like what you would get with the Garmin when your are out of the trails.

I put a Lowrance Baja 540C in my car, I think it was $250 on ebay. With the remodel this summer I ipdated it to the Lowrance HDS7.

I have a Lowrance Baja 540 also. It's an older unit and they don't make them anymore. Still, gets the job done.

Just dune use or also for trail use? Hard to beat OnX for trails. Otherwise, any old Lowrance or Garmin is good for marking waypoints, etc.

it really depends on use
I've got the old lowrance like above and a trailtech voyager pro
I got the trailtech for the added bit of info like RPM and temps https://www.trailtech.net/en-us/sho...yager-pro-gps-kits/voyager-pro-kit-universal/

base map is just as good or better then the older lowrance and color, no it does not do navigation, gotta load GPX files just like the lowrance
or use it for waypoints and breadcrumb trails just like the lowrance
1726773101611.png

the only CON I have with the voyager is the screen size and actually for me isn't a big CON, most of the other guys who see it comment on my little screen and I ask them are you driving or are you looking the screen to get somewhere

Back