weirdest thing happened to me

John@Outfront

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
was going to Glamis on Friday morning  left my home at 3:30AM was planning on duning at 8

was coming down the canyon with my 26' 3 axle enclosed when 10 miles from ocotillo i felt a tug/surge on my rig.  wow  at first thought it was my tranny going out but it stopped.  i continued on and it happened again 1 minuet later.  as i look out at my trailer there are sparks coming from my wheels.  fearing it was brakes or a wheel bearing i quickly pulled over. (still dark at 5:30 AM) the first thing i noticed was no trailer lights, then i hear a loud whining and realized it was my trailer breaks being applied.  i look down at my 7 blade connector and it not only fell out the whole end was torn off and all the wires were twisted together.  battery power obviously touched brake control wire, appling the brakes 100%   i separated the wires and assessed the damage.  one rear tire had popped. i didnt have a spare but with three axles and only my buggy inside it didnt look too bad.  i then drove 30 more miles at 40 mph to the boarder checkpoint and looked again.  the tire was still intact.  i then drove to westmoreland and met 2 other buddies coming from different directions.  it still looked good. made it to brawley and the tire was still seated on both beads.  made it to walmart at 6:55 am and they opened at 7am  they put on two e rated tires and was on my way.  was duning by 9:30.  my friend also bought a 7 blade connector kit at napa and installed that sat afternoon

just one of those weird days.  Oh and BTW my 7 pin truck connector had lost its cap that locks the harness in the truck--live and learn

the sparks i saw wasnt my brakes it was my steel belts wearing off rapidly :classic_blink:  dunes were great!

Last edited by a moderator:
How much for those?  Look to have a few more miles in them.....these kids today...new everything...

How much for those?  Look to have a few more miles in them.....these kids today...new everything...
the lower one still works $100  but the upper one can only be used in the garden, but would work great up against a wall as its already flat on one side $20  lol

:scared:

That's crazy John...glad it all worked out and you are safe!

:headbang:

You need to get brakes on your other two axles. Then the wear on the tires would have been evenly distributed and you would have been in the dunes at 8 as planned. 

You need to get brakes on your other two axles. Then the wear on the tires would have been evenly distributed and you would have been in the dunes at 8 as planned. 
There are brakes on front and rear axles. The center have none. I think the fronts had a little more load so they didn’t lock up. The surge was only about 5 seconds each time ( at least what I felt)

Cool Story, pictures are awesome.

"Slightly used tires, for sale cheap..." :lol: "Just needs a plug."

Back