Water to air intercooler for a turbo setup

JM PRO

Reaction score
Anyone running a water to air intercooler on their turbo setup? Was curious if there are any words of wisdom on sizing of intercooler or heat exchanger and issues with heat soak. Do's and don'ts?

Thanks 

Anyone running a water to air intercooler on their turbo setup? Was curious if there are any words of wisdom on sizing of intercooler or heat exchanger and issues with heat soak. Do's and don'ts?

Thanks 
I am on a twin turbo 440ci. Running a shearer fab intercooler on a Holley lo ram. The Heat exchanger is a cbr 35x10 dual pass mounted directly in front of my radiator with variable speed fans so they are always pulling air through the intercooler. Meziere 20 gallon water pump. No problem with heat soak that I’ve seen. Intake temps never really get over 110 from what I have seen. Running 14lbs on race fuel makes 1100 to the wheels. 

F707BEB1-759D-4A74-9175-298859A6A661.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am on a twin turbo 440ci. Running a shearer fab intercooler on a Holley lo ram. The Heat exchanger is a cbr 35x10 dual pass mounted directly in front of my radiator with variable speed fans so they are always pulling air through the intercooler. Meziere 20 gallon water pump. No problem with heat soak that I’ve seen. Intake temps never really get over 110 from what I have seen. Running 14lbs on race fuel makes 1100 to the wheels. 

View attachment 65325
That is such a clean setup!

My approach will be a little more budget friendly😁

That is such a clean setup!

My approach will be a little more budget friendly😁
My setup was the most budget friendly and efficient setup I could figure. The shearer fab is 1800 and the base manifold no lid is 400. Doesn’t seem to bad to me. Either that or a complete Holley manifold and a cbr or someone else’s  sandwich plate intercooler. There is some different combos that might be more budget friendly but going turbocharged period, isn’t a budget friendly move my guy…. TRUST ME 🤣

My setup was the most budget friendly and efficient setup I could figure. The shearer fab is 1800 and the base manifold no lid is 400. Doesn’t seem to bad to me. Either that or a complete Holley manifold and a cbr or someone else’s  sandwich plate intercooler. There is some different combos that might be more budget friendly but going turbocharged period, isn’t a budget friendly move my guy…. TRUST ME 🤣
My budget comment was directed more at the overall build. That engine combo is amazing and I have mental masturbation thinking of one day having a power plant producing 1100 HP to the ground!! My target is 500HP to the wheels. Baby steps and lots of lottery tickets...

I didn’t know what kind of build you were talking. 500hp is easy. Air to air and a little turbo would be very budget friendly.

i know it’s not a “normal” thing to do but a buddy of mine is running a single turbo LS on e85 low boost no intercooler. Runs great. Relies on the e85 to cool the intake air. Seems to be working well so far. 

I've got a forged internals 3.5 honda engine on E85 targeting 15 pounds of boost. From a packaging standpoint the W2A intercooler fits really well for my application. My question is for people who are using or have used a W2A intercooler and had any issues or heat soak problems.

I am on a built internally 3.5 on E85 as well and made 500 to the wheel at only 10lbs of boost. Have not noticed any heat soak issues. Granted I do have a pretty big intercooler that sits in front of the radiator.

3C36D420-F2AA-4033-B04F-C1E8C34F125B.jpeg

A:W will heat soak more than A:A and add cost/complexity. Only reason to for A:W is packaging just doesn’t work for A:A, or you don’t want to see intercooler piping. On a buggy with an open engine bay, packaging isn’t likely to be an issue. 

My setup was pretty budget friendly. I started with a garret air to water intercooler core and fabbed up the rest of it to fit in where I needed it to go. 

I run a meziere water pump and I just run a heat exchanger that was purchased off of Amazon for about $200. Pump pulls from the bottom of a 3 gallon expansion tank. 

they are complex setups but so far I have zero regrets, with great throttle response from a large single turbo setup. I’m running E85 too. 

3AA79EC3-6B60-4D94-8A16-255C9FB4D89D.jpeg

E1C7AA05-3A1F-42BF-BC97-DFDEC75789A2.jpeg

My setup was pretty budget friendly. I started with a garret air to water intercooler core and fabbed up the rest of it to fit in where I needed it to go. 

I run a meziere water pump and I just run a heat exchanger that was purchased off of Amazon for about $200. Pump pulls from the bottom of a 3 gallon expansion tank. 

they are complex setups but so far I have zero regrets, with great throttle response from a large single turbo setup. I’m running E85 too. 

View attachment 65424

View attachment 65425
What size heat exchanger?

When I bought my core I shopped around and found it for $360. That was about a year and a half ago now. 

they have smaller sizes. My core is rated for a 1000hp

818D2507-30A9-44CC-8ED8-059CB446A99B.png

This is the exact heat exchanger that i ordered...my bad and the intercooler core is above. all i did was cut the 3/4" tubes off and weld on #12 an fittings. This thing sits in direct air flow.

image.png

This is the exact heat exchanger that i ordered...my bad and the intercooler core is above. all i did was cut the 3/4" tubes off and weld on #12 an fittings. This thing sits in direct air flow.

View attachment 65531

Did you add any fans on the backside of heat exchanger? 

So I have a brand new 31x11 cherokee 4.0 radiator with triple fans. It's overkill but I already have it. I won't be using a reservoir but the radiator volume makes up for it.

So I have a brand new 31x11 cherokee 4.0 radiator with triple fans. It's overkill but I already have it. I won't be using a reservoir but the radiator volume makes up for it.
I’m sure it will work. I do run a 3 gallonish reservoir/expansion tank…I did it just in case I wanted to add icy. you know for the funsys 

Back