VW Shift Adjustment made easy

I like.  Biggest problem with adjusting is when you go to tighten it down enough to prevent ham-fisting, and movement on the holding wrench means the shaft or nut ends up turning (easy gentlemen) and screwing up the adjustment.  

I like the idea. I do agree with Rockwood though. You may or may not have reinvented the wheel as there are a lot of cars out there that probably don’t have the room for this set up. I do like the thinking out of the box though. 

I like.  Biggest problem with adjusting is when you go to tighten it down enough to prevent ham-fisting, and movement on the holding wrench means the shaft or nut ends up turning (easy gentlemen) and screwing up the adjustment.  
Perhaps a small Allen set screw tapped into one of the flanges, snug up the flanges finger tight then crank down the set screw.   

I was thinking if you get it set where you want it you could use a couple pairs of vice grips to hold in place and then crank the bolts down?

Perhaps a small Allen set screw tapped into one of the flanges, snug up the flanges finger tight then crank down the set screw.   
Not needed here.

The problem I'm talking about is with the usual threaded rod/nut situation that exists on most buggies, not this setup.  It sucks balls.  This part solves it since you're actually using clamping load to hold everything still while you crank on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have placed them up near the shifter also, when i tighten them down i use a non locking nut, then the rest ny-locks,   it helps take the guess work of of the shifter,  dont really need this idea if you are using a hi-end shifter like a Pro-am, but for the average shifter this works really well, 

I have placed them up near the shifter also, when i tighten them down i use a non locking nut, then the rest ny-locks,   it helps take the guess work of of the shifter,  dont really need this idea if you are using a hi-end shifter like a Pro-am, but for the average shifter this works really well, 
Just wish I saw this last offseason when I was building my current chassis out...  :biggrin:

Awesome setup, don't you also make a floor mount throttle cable tab/holder( by the pedal assembly)?  I saw one that I liked on the defunct gd.com site a year or so ago, I think it was your design?

I was thinking if you get it set where you want it you could use a couple pairs of vice grips to hold in place and then crank the bolts down?
you leave the bolts snug so you can move them with your hand but will not move on your own,  then tighten them down when you need to,  its not like the single bolt setup where you need 4 pairs of hands like the link below 

These are much smaller and never work, anyone that has used these ends up much frustrated, 
Obviously just your opinion, Worked great for me and I only have 1 pair of hands.

Those are like ouija boards: get it perfect, go to tighten the rest of the way, shifter walks over a little and it’s out of adjustment. Between seats and turning brakes, makes for getting the open ended wrench in there a PITA. Almost have to predict where it’s gonna walk to as you tighten, or attempt to hold it with your knee, or have your buddy help who had too many beers and just keeps Effing with it...

Back