vw heat shield

margard8@aol.com

Reaction score
Hello,building a rail, 1970 1600 , can i run without the heat shields ? Thank you for any advice

If you mean the tin plates between the pushrod tubes and cylinders, I wouldn't. This is what pushes air around lower barrels.

Yes agreed, also I always used "cool tins" to duct the air better than the stock ones. I just did a search and it looks like they are now called "VW super cool tins", available from lots of places. I always ran a doghouse oil cooler for offroad too, together with a big frame mounted full-flow cooler. You can put a Type IV cooler on the doghouse mount and widen the stock doghouse cover. IIRC that gets you two more cooler rows than a Type I. I know most people don't do this, but I ran them for years and never had a problem.

What they all said.  The aftermarket shrouds look bitchen but they just don't work like the dog house. 

Even if you are going to use an external oil cooler leave the oen one in the dog house.  If you don't you can gave airflow imbalances.   

Full flow oiling is the beast way to go if youe going to be making some steam.  If it's 40 hp...  it's probably fine, just out a deep sump on it and a good oil pump.  

Back