Venting a 2D

Stugots

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I seen a write up on this.. My trans seems to leak past the 2 seals on the drive shaft.. Would like to fix that issue if possable..

I think in that old write up they were talking about putting a -8 or -10 above the ring gear on top of the trans. It was on one side for mid eng and the other for rear. I have a pic of mine let me see if I can find

Yes, on a mid- engine the ring gear is on the drivers side of box, left side.

IMG_1313.JPG

I think in that old write up they were talking about putting a -8 or -10 above the ring gear on top of the trans. It was on one side for mid eng and the other for rear. I have a pic of mine let me see if I can find
Yes its a Mid

Above the ring gear is what Sean at Weddle recommends as others have said.  
I had the thread before the crash. 

How far up are you running the vent line and what are putting on the end of it? Might do same with mine so wondering what finished product needs to be. 

Sorry for bad angle, all I have. I Ran a an4 line from top of ring gear to catch can(bottom side), You can see can just above wing on right side. I also drilled a small hole under the cap, but outside the seal for venting. Also good for topping off trans. Have not had any issues with venting out gear oil or leaks since. 

Trans vent.jpg

Notes:

1. Please don't put the vent directly above the ring gear, unless you want to use your ring for a pump and run that vent line back into the trans as a return line (that is a joke). The rotation of the ring gear will pump oil into that vent and your transmission life will be substantially cut short when the oil runs out. I know of at least one Albins where this mistake was made. Trans only made it 15 mins into its inaugural run off the trailer.

2. The ring gear will always* be located on the drivers/left side of the trans, regardless of mid or rear engine orientation.

(* the only time the ring gear is on the passenger side, would be if you are running a reverse rotation engine (Honda B16, Corvair) that spins the input shaft backwards, or if you literally flipped your transaxle upside down to run it as a mid-engine, instead of swapping the diff/ring gear to the proper side.)

If you are going to drill and tap a hole for a vent line above the diff, please make sure to locate that hole to the passenger/right side of the center rib which will be opposite the ring gear. Run a line straight up a few inches then straight back out the car. Do not put any loops or low spots in the vent line where oil can collect, then act as a syphon that will pull more oil through the vent line as it gets pushed through. 

I guess that explains why that hole was plugged!!!

Thank you Sean!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back