Used Toy Hauler w Salvage Title CA

JBL

Reaction score
Looking to get a larger toy hauler finally lol.  checked out a TH with salvage title that was a result from damage to roof top. There was a solar panel the ripped off its mount and obliterated the Auto satellite dome and antenna and gouged sections of the roof.  Insurance for some reason totaled it for that reason.  Everything else is sound on the trailer.  What I liked most about it the trailer has aluminum wheel wells rounded off like a speed bump so you can roll over them and not have to strap the front end of the SXS in to clear.  I did not look that bad to me and the roof is getting repaired as I type this.  What are your thoughts? Yay or nay.

If the price is right, and you can see the repair, or documentation that its fixed, go for it. But keep in mind resale will be crap, and your insurance may have issues. I'd call you insurance first. Make sure they are ok with it.

A buddy of mine had a salvage title trailer and because of that he was able to run a PTI plate on it.

Check with your lender if you have one, check with your insurance company make sure you know what they will and will not cover and what kind of coverage you can get. 

Then check to see what kind of warranty the new roof is getting.

That should answer a lot of questions 

4 Steps to Clear a Salvage Title on a Vehicle (thebalance.com)

might get a clean title over time,  

My Sister had a 23 foot Attitude, and it has hale damage to one side of the trailer,  it was repaired and had a clean title over time,   I think it helped due to them be a new owner, 

I think if you claim on your insurance and them by it back might be a issue to clean up the title,  but as a new purchaser it might be easier, 

As others have said   - Lender if used, insurance coverage and cost, and of course resale value will suffer especially over time

the insurance companys sell most of thier salvage at auction and for the last few years they have been getting real good money at auction. so they will total something here if the repair is over 60 percent of value. rather than pay for the repair and suplements and problems down the road win win for them 

Back