Two Seater or Four - School me

Dockmaster

Reaction score
I’m currently planning to go with a two seater in my new Funco but want to make sure that’s the right move. All our kids are grown and even when they join us they want to be driver’s, not passengers. The wife thinks four seats might be convenient if we have friends along. My thinking is let the friends drive our SxS. I don’t really want the extra seats when they will not get used 95% of the time. And the rear seats are not really adult comfortable anyway. I would rather have the storage boxes, larger fuel tank and bigger heat exchanger. I’ve also had several people tell me they wish they didn’t have a four seater as people are always asking for rides. No idea if resale is better either way? So give me your thoughts please. Would you go two or four seater if you really don’t need a four seater? 

I always had 2 seat cars and never even got excited about one passenger. I never felt the desire to take a group for a tour as I always was the leader and had enough to think about and not much time for visiting. Guess it is just a matter of how one dunes.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to be the Camp Taxi, get a 4 seater.

Once I went to a 2 seater I never looked back.  Of course my kids and grandkids have their own stuff and I don't have a wife.

At my age I don't want to give anybody a ride. I would have a single seater if I could. Stick to your plan and let the friends rent a SxS. If they want to come, they can tear up a rental. 

In my opinion the resale is just as strong if not stronger for a 2 seat. There's always a demand for them and fewer to choose from. I would defer to Grant for this question though as I'm just a Raiders fan.  :classic_tongue:

A huge part of the decision should be how much space you have in your trailer for a car. Does / will a smaller car solve any transportation / storage problems?

I’ve had both 2 seat and 4 seat cars, I like the extended wheel base of the 4 seaters.

Removing the back seats in favor of a bigger ice chest and storage solves the “taxi” issue and if done right, you can convert back to a 4 seat car in 10 minutes.

Funco size and performance there is little difference. It comes down to preference & what you want in that back area. You can have your components spread out and some storage or 2 extra seats. I like the 2-seat set up myself. I can carry a larger cooler, tools and still have room for jackets all concealed under a cover. 

At my age I don't want to give anybody a ride. I would have a single seater if I could. Stick to your plan and let the friends rent a SxS. If they want to come, they can tear up a rental. 

In my opinion the resale is just as strong if not stronger for a 2 seat. There's always a demand for them and fewer to choose from. I would defer to Grant for this question though as I'm just a Raiders fan.  :classic_tongue:
Love the suggestion to let friends rent a SxS! 

Grant will build it however I want. He knows my wife and I are debating this and is smart enough to not get in the middle 😀😀

A huge part of the decision should be how much space you have in your trailer for a car. Does / will a smaller car solve any transportation / storage problems?

I’ve had both 2 seat and 4 seat cars, I like the extended wheel base of the 4 seaters.

Removing the back seats in favor of a bigger ice chest and storage solves the “taxi” issue and if done right, you can convert back to a 4 seat car in 10 minutes.
Am mentioned by @Pennywise, the Funco’s are same length regardless. I realize other cars do differ but not in the case. The roofline is different though to add headroom height in four seater. I’m using the four seat roofline regardless as I need the headroom. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Am mentioned by @Pennywise, the Funco’s are same length regardless. I realize other cars do differ but not in the case. The roofline is different though to add headroom height in four seater. I’m using the four seat roofline regardless as I need the headroom. 
So you’re already paying for a car capable of seating 4 and there’s no benefit / detriment in wheel base, seems like that would be the way to go then convert the back to suit you.

It’s nice being able to carry the things you need / want with you while storing them at a low center of gravity while having the ability to change over and give people a ride every now and then.

You would have a bigger group of buyers for a 2 / 4 seat car if you decide to sell later on.

@Dockmaster  I originally wanted a 2 seater after my old school buggies but found a 4 seater, in the beginning I thought it was great had room for parents, siblings, grandchildren snd friends. Then it became a nuisance people we didn’t know that were camped close by people you run into on the dunes all asked for rides so that became not so much fun. Dumb me bought a 5 seat car the second go around I ended up hating the car and thought about making a two seat out of it but decided it was easier to sell and start over then the 2 seater that I had when you dined with us.  The 2 seater was the easiest of the 3 to sell. That being said since you are planning on a 4 seat chassis because of head room why not talk to Grant about making it quick change then you could switch back and forth  then you snd your wife both get what you want. As a grandparent the extra seats would be nice when the grandchildren start coming along . Just my  2 cents

GR

2 seat for me I can feel the difference in handling just adding my wife.

my car is older and only 1800 lbs with me in it maybe it makes less difference with a newer heavier car

there is also a liability issue with hauling other people around 

Once our kids got older and had their own toys, they wanted to drive not ride. As mentioned above, you become the camp taxi for friends of friends you don't even know. I would get calls from people we camp with asking if they could bring friends to ride in my car. Don't know how many times someone had the game over puke in the back seat that I was left to clean up, not to mention the liability if something happened. My wife really pushed me to get the 2 seat car due to the liability of having passengers.

@Dockmaster  I originally wanted a 2 seater after my old school buggies but found a 4 seater, in the beginning I thought it was great had room for parents, siblings, grandchildren snd friends. Then it became a nuisance people we didn’t know that were camped close by people you run into on the dunes all asked for rides so that became not so much fun. Dumb me bought a 5 seat car the second go around I ended up hating the car and thought about making a two seat out of it but decided it was easier to sell and start over then the 2 seater that I had when you dined with us.  The 2 seater was the easiest of the 3 to sell. That being said since you are planning on a 4 seat chassis because of head room why not talk to Grant about making it quick change then you could switch back and forth  then you snd your wife both get what you want. As a grandparent the extra seats would be nice when the grandchildren start coming along . Just my  2 cents

GR
Not really possible to just switch back and forth from 2 to 4 seats. The 2 seater will have a larger fuel tank and larger heat exchanger. Both would prevent the rear seats from going in. I really do not want to be a campground taxi to everyone that wants a ride, especially folks I don’t even know. Yours and others’ comments are confirming this is a real issue. I think I’ll stick to my plan of 2 seats unless I hear something compelling to the contrary. 

Once our kids got older and had their own toys, they wanted to drive not ride. As mentioned above, you become the camp taxi for friends of friends you don't even know. I would get calls from people we camp with asking if they could bring friends to ride in my car. Don't know how many times someone had the game over puke in the back seat that I was left to clean up, not to mention the liability if something happened. My wife really pushed me to get the 2 seat car due to the liability of having passengers.
I never even thought about someone puking back there. That’s awful. Not to mention the potential chain reaction that can ensue 🤮🤮🤮🤮

Not really possible to just switch back and forth from 2 to 4 seats. The 2 seater will have a larger fuel tank and larger heat exchanger. Both would prevent the rear seats from going in. I really do not want to be a campground taxi to everyone that wants a ride, especially folks I don’t even know. Yours and others’ comments are confirming this is a real issue. I think I’ll stick to my plan of 2 seats unless I hear something compelling to the contrary. 
I pulled the back seat out of my car to be able to easily get to the fuel pump and filters one weekend when I was having issues. That seat isn't going back in unless my wife and/or kids start coming out again. 

Back