Turbo Subaru muffler options?

BJ_buggyfab

Reaction score
Any one have suggestions or pictures or set ups for a typical rear mounted turbo Subaru exhaust. I’m want to quiet it down for forest trail riding. 

John@outfront?

Any one have suggestions or pictures or set ups for a typical rear mounted turbo Subaru exhaust. I’m want to quiet it down for forest trail riding. 

John@outfront?
show a pic of what you have...............turbo, n/a?

you can have a 3" muffler go out the left side so the turbo tail pipe will come out and slightly down. positioned the right way it can be clamped to the bend on the left side of the header.  then just have a short curved tip going out the back

mix all three together and you get the idea

but reversed for your application of course and the muffler must be attached to the bend in the header for support

IMG_7776.JPG

IMG_7777.JPG

IMG_8299.JPG

Ye that’s what I’m looking for. How much quieter is that muffler?
there are lots of variations, that muffler is straight through and takes the edge of, there are others like that that have lots of slits inside  i think they call them camco mufflers

there are lots of variations, that muffler is straight through and takes the edge of, there are others like that that have lots of slits inside  i think they call them camco mufflers
Ok I want noticeably quieter in that size package. If there is such a thing….

yes you can put a small version of a normal muffler  i have seen it before  i think they make a 12" long version

like this on summit:   Walker Exhaust 17614 - Walker Mega-Flow Mufflers  or similar  

Last edited by a moderator:
This was my setup on my car. I welded a strap on the front side of the muffler to connect to the turbo flange.

1479163908398.jpg

1479163909073.jpg

I run a 3" cherry bomb glass pack, cheap and sounds pretty good. No issues driving it on the street (noise wise) but does bark on boost.

I build these exhausts/mufflers for dwarf cars. Cans come in various lengths, just customize them for your application. They are not expensive at all, and cars are very quiet with them

B89A1706-9EE9-45B2-A361-2788FA0D0909.jpeg

00FC3394-0BE8-401A-8D31-108E164626DD.jpeg

I bought a small stainless muffler and made it fit.  It cuts the noise some.  It has an adjustable support link on the end.  But the header kept cracking, so I went back to regular short exhaust and headphones.  Not sure if the muffler caused the cracking or not.  I know the next header I bought had gusset welded in the cracked area.  

buggy pics 008.jpg

I bought a small stainless muffler and made it fit.  It cuts the noise some.  It has an adjustable support link on the end.  But the header kept cracking, so I went back to regular short exhaust and headphones.  Not sure if the muffler caused the cracking or not.  I know the next header I bought had gusset welded in the cracked area.  

View attachment 32624
did the support tube go back to the exhaust, or the frame or the motor??? 

When I started filming backwards out of the buggy I was shocked @ how much the trunk moved independent of the engine.  enough I had to trim my engine cover because it was wearing into the trunk where it was hitting. 

On my VeeWee I ended up making a bracket that went back to the exh & clamped it on, it worked very well, never broke anything & that magnaflow was kind of heavy.

image.png

did the support tube go back to the exhaust, or the frame or the motor??? 

When I started filming backwards out of the buggy I was shocked @ how much the trunk moved independent of the engine.  enough I had to trim my engine cover because it was wearing into the trunk where it was hitting. 

It tied into the frame.  

buggy pics 009.jpg

Back