Turbo honda issues

Trevor

Reaction score
Have a 3.5 turbo honda. Its dumping blue smoke out of the turbo and dripping oil. Anyone had this issue?

I should clarify its dripping oil out of the exhaust

short version is there is a seal in the bearing housing, its leaking....... the question is why. 

new engine/combination or old?

any changes to the car since it ran good?

any changes to oil pressure?

Old combination, just had the motor out to rebuild the tranny, had a bad mainshaft bearing when i bought it. Not sure when the last time the turbo was gone through, from looking through the reciepts, seems that most of the work was done in 2016

Had this issue with my turbo subaru. Got the turbo rebuilt and washed out the intercooler and intake piping with soap and water(intercooler had a puddle of oil in it). It’s been all good since then. I had SoCal porting rebuild the turbo. Service and pricing were great. 

Also, blue smoke coming out of oil dipstick if i pull it out a tad. Not sure if thats normal

Also, blue smoke coming out of oil dipstick if i pull it out a tad. Not sure if thats normal
Like burnt oil smoke?  

Pull the turbo, if there's oil in the flange before the turbo, pull the headers.  If there's oil in the exhaust ports, motor's not happy.

If you're running an FMU instead of AEM or other tunable ECU, time to switch unless you like replacing motors. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Like burnt oil smoke?  

Pull the turbo, if there's oil in the flange before the turbo, pull the headers.  If there's oil in the exhaust ports, motor's not happy.

If you're running an FMU instead of AEM or other tunable ECU, time to switch unless you like replacing motors. :biggrin:
Pulled the turbo, no oil in the flange before the turbo, only after. 

Took it for a little ride to double check this, and i think the dipstick is blowing out oil, cant see where else it would be coming from to make a mess back here. Tighter dipstick? 

Took it for a little ride to double check this, and i think the dipstick is blowing out oil, cant see where else it would be coming from to make a mess back here. Tighter dipstick? 
I did put a few wraps of electrical tape around my dipstick to tighten it up a bit. 

Back