truck hitches?

Bansh88

Reaction score
My new truck comes with a 2.5" receiver so looking at a new hitch with a 2" & 2 5/16" ball.  

What to look for or avoid?  They appear to be $3-400 which seems like an assload of cash for a chunk of steel.

Doesn't it have the 2" adapter chingadera in it?  

If you aren't towing heavy, you can probably use one of those sleeves to reduce it to 2" and use your old hitch. 

I have a grip of the GEN-Y hitches and absolutely love them. I tow 2", 2 5/16" and pintel frequently. Having the pintel option without having to swap hitches sold me on them. 

Before going to GEN-Y I used the fancy aluminum ones, they all wore out and became sloppy. I also used the B&W, they were nice but not as clean when used pintel. 

https://genyhitch.com

im a fan of b&w hitches. i have a rail mount 5th wheel in my truck. i need to replace my bumper pull recievers and when i do i will be ordering form them.  made in USA too.

Bought a '21 Ram 3500.  First purchase was a B&W Tow & Stow hitch due to the 2.5" receiver.  Didn't want to use the adapter.  2" & 2-5/8" ball, 14k rating and Made in the USA.   :luvflag:

My new truck comes with a 2.5" receiver so looking at a new hitch with a 2" & 2 5/16" ball.  

What to look for or avoid?  They appear to be $3-400 which seems like an assload of cash for a chunk of steel.
Do you need a drop hitch?  I have an Eckhart 6" drop 2.5" hitch with 2 5/16" 30k rated ball (stamped on the ball).  Don't have a use for the hitch since getting the Weigh Safe.

$150

20160712_180602.jpg

20160712_203843.jpg

20160712_203901.jpg

20160712_204007.jpg

20160712_180633.jpg

Now that you have a truck that can haul some weight...think about what you will be towing in the near future.....still a flat bed and quads?....or eventually an enclosed, etc.

Truck came with an adapter sleeve.

I do want adjustability.  Truck sits fairly high but I'd like to be able to adjust for different trailers and ball sizes.

With an imminent move, we are looking at an enclosed.  Size will depend on availability.  I don't know what the future holds...

Really wanted to make sure there wasn't something to stay away from.  U.S. manufacture looks like the way to go.  

I do have a pintle hitch I scored a while back just in case.  I know chippers often need them.

If you have a 2.5" receiver get a 2.5" drop hitch. Avoid using the adapter sleeves unless towing light loads or for short time periods. Using the adapter sleeves over a long period will start to wear out the hitch pin holes and adds to play in the hitches. I've seen many hitch pins bent because of these adapter sleeves. If you need to save some $$ and must use the adapter sleeve, weld it to your 2" drop hitch and it will work better. 

I have a 3" Weigh Safe in my F350 but I only use it for lighter loads. If towing heavy I use an all steel hitch. My 20k hitch on the Moho came with a 3" all steel drop hitch rated for 20k and made by Gen-Y. 

the sleeve is a pain in the butt to deal with. i had one that was was hard to get the holes to line up once inserting the hitch because it would slide back. then i got the oem chevy sleeve that has a lip on it so it doesnt slide back but that one required a rubber mallet to get it out. 

now i have an aluminum adjustable one with both size balls.  i got it on sale off ebay for about $100, its an 8" drop or raise which is way more than i need but the 8" was half the price of the 4" drop/raise. i tow a flat bed with my 4 seat rzr most the time no issues. i did use it once to move a friends 27" camping trailer from palm springs to quartzside AZ. i think the hitch is rated at like 15k. 

Watching this topic... Just upgraded my truck also and the new ride (f350)  has a 3" receiver!! I'm  Using two sleeves for the time being, running the old aluminum drop hitch with  a 2" to 2.5" and 2.5 to 3"  and it seems to tow fine, only been to Glamis and back once with my loaded enclosed no issues. Have been looking at the 3" steel hitches lately and  they are crazy expensive..

Well I know this from this week.   I have a custom 3" receiver on the Motorhome.    Needed the heaviest weight distribution I could get.  found a blue ox that was  2.5" but 20,000 lbs.  went to install and my hitch pin on the receiver is a 3/4.  brand new hitch only has a 5/8.  chasing down a 3/4 steel bit and drilling out a new hitch yesterday.  I will finish up install this morning to get out to the sand.   Hitch pins are now in consideration when switching out receivers.  

New Ford Super Duty comes with a 3" receiver and a sleeve to reduce to 2 1/2"

I have a grip of the GEN-Y hitches and absolutely love them. I tow 2", 2 5/16" and pintel frequently. Having the pintel option without having to swap hitches sold me on them. 

Before going to GEN-Y I used the fancy aluminum ones, they all wore out and became sloppy. I also used the B&W, they were nice but not as clean when used pintel. 

https://genyhitch.com
So cool, and seems like it works really well. Fuglyyyy as sin though! Ive been looking for a 2" + 2-5/16" + pintel option, though. Didnt think I would find a "good" one, but this seems to be it. Dang it! haha

Don't forget one of these.. Bumper Dumper  

bumper-dumper.jpg

Back