Trinity Exhaust PSA

Rockwood

Reaction score
Last trip, we put out the second Trinity exhaust related fire we’ve personally dealt with. In both cases, the muffler packing somehow ended up blocking the perforated straight through tube and the exhaust melted a hole out the side of the aluminum casing looking for a way out. This one melted the throttle body wiring and the steel tube inside was red-facking hot (still glowing after hitting it with the extinguisher). 

76C952F2-C397-43F3-8326-A4F17299EBA0.jpeg

611487E3-E554-47B7-8632-C1A1411C3543.jpeg

Apparently you’re supposed to re-pack them often, but this one had 2 trips on the current re-packing.

Batting 1.000 for fires in our group. We’d slow down and all… But that’s gay. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That's weird. I don't see how that can happen unless the perforated tube had a big hole in it or something.

That's weird. I don't see how that can happen unless the perforated tube had a big hole in it or something.
Yep. First time, figured it was a fluke. Second time, either they’re easy to screw up on reassembly, or they have some other issue. Both times the packing was blocking the exhaust in the muffler  

Either way, keep an eye on it. 

Were both of them recently repacked by the owner (I know you said one was)? Were they on RZR's or X3's? I've had that exhaust on my X3 for 4 seasons.

Were both of them recently repacked by the owner (I know you said one was)? Were they on RZR's or X3's? I've had that exhaust on my X3 for 4 seasons.
Both were RZR XPTs. Guess they just really wanna burn down… :biggrin:

Other one was never re-packed. When he called Trinity about it, they said he had to repack it every season (or something like that).

Last trip, we put out the second Trinity exhaust related fire we’ve personally dealt with. In both cases, the muffler packing somehow ended up blocking the perforated straight through tube and the exhaust melted a hole out the side of the aluminum casing looking for a way out. This one melted the throttle body wiring and the steel tube inside was red-facking hot (still glowing after hitting it with the extinguisher). 

View attachment 51909

View attachment 51910

Apparently you’re supposed to re-pack them often, but this one had 2 trips on the current re-packing.

Batting 1.000 for fires in our group. We’d slow down and all… But that’s gay. 
thanks for sharing - thankfully no one in our group uses that brand

BTW: you can just remove the springs on the pipe between the turbo and mufflers, flip the exhaust to point to the passenger  side, re-install the springs, and lots of bailing wire as a temporary hanger. Lasts all weekend and the passenger rear doesn’t get noticeably warmer than the driver’s side.

Also: practice removing your extinguisher a couple of times. I fumbled more than I should’ve. :biggrin:

Yep. First time, figured it was a fluke. Second time, either they’re easy to screw up on reassembly, or they have some other issue. Both times the packing was blocking the exhaust in the muffler  

Either way, keep an eye on it. 
Next time order stainless packing from burns. No more exhaust related fire

C4E2BFF5-12A6-44FF-8486-A61C4F971D2D.jpeg

Does it not burn like regular steel?  You can light steel wool, or even chips coming off a brake lathe.
Its literally stainless steel lathe scrap. Your exhaust Will never get that hot. Same stuff most exhaust is made from

…..i’ve been putting this stuff (and many others are using it too) in dwarf cars and trophy carts for years. Never had a fire. 

i’d bet some oil consumption is happening, and a lean condition compounding it

Does it not burn like regular steel?  You can light steel wool, or even chips coming off a brake lathe.
It won't corrode.  Mufflers store/trap moisture. 

There's also the aluminum body combined with steel packing.  They wrap it in fiberglass to protect from galvanic corrosion, but that doesn't last forever.

Back