Transaxle Pump

I can't tell which, the label is worn away.  The pump is rebuildable, but it is so worn out internally (brushes, armature, windings, etc.... not worth messing with.

Have you ever used the Tilton Engineering 40-527?  $200.00 compared to the $400.00 for the weddle pump.

I don't mind spending the extra money if it is necessary, but I do not like wasting it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you ever used the Tilton Engineering 40-527?  $200.00 compared to the $400.00 for the weddle pump.

I don't mind spending the extra money if it is necessary, but I do not like wasting it.
Back in the day we used the Tilton pumps but they are diaphragm pumps and either cold oil or heavier than 90wt make them ineffective IMO.  The weddle pump is gear driven  so basically positive displacement.

Does Tilton ever come on this site and post and tech info? Nope. @Sean@Weddledoes. I prefer to spend my $$ with companies that support our sport. Same reason I don't buy off-road related parts on Amazon. I buy from Kartek, Mckenzie's, Gear One, etc.

I've used the Mocal branded version of that pump extensively.  Self priming and reliable, but super loud (could hear it under the hood of an idling 290* duration/open header 4-banger).  Pumped Ultra Heavy Shockproof, but wasn't happy about it (20A fuse to prevent popping when first starting).  

Gear type will be better overall, hence the cost.  

The thing to remember about diaphragm pumps is you have no way of knowing if they are still pumping oil if the diaphragm rips or tears. The pump motor keeps running, but you will not know that is not pumping oil.

Our gear driven pump is rebuildable. Make sure to use a filter before the pump. 90% of reason for them to stop working is because a piece of debris got stuck in the gears and seized it up. 

The thing to remember about diaphragm pumps is you have no way of knowing if they are still pumping oil if the diaphragm rips or tears. The pump motor keeps running, but you will not know that is not pumping oil.

Our gear driven pump is rebuildable. Make sure to use a filter before the pump. 90% of reason for them to stop working is because a piece of debris got stuck in the gears and seized it up. 
I put my temp probes on the cooling circuit (pre-cooler, obviously) above fill level, but yes, no real way to tell short of pulling a line and pumping.

Ok, kind of still on this topic.  If I order the Weddle pump, how much does it really help keep that main bearing lubricated with the 150 degree sensor?  I remember LRS posting on this in the old site, stating he ran the 180 degree sensor, and his pump hardly ever turned on.  I know that I had my Trans rebuilt on 7/22/2020, and it is back in again this time for that Main bearing.  I only had 6 4 day trips and I average 2 runs at most per day, and that is at Dumont, so they are no where near as long as runs would be in Glamis.

Ok, kind of still on this topic.  If I order the Weddle pump, how much does it really help keep that main bearing lubricated with the 150 degree sensor?  I remember LRS posting on this in the old site, stating he ran the 180 degree sensor, and his pump hardly ever turned on.  I know that I had my Trans rebuilt on 7/22/2020, and it is back in again this time for that Main bearing.  I only had 6 4 day trips and I average 2 runs at most per day, and that is at Dumont, so they are no where near as long as runs would be in Glamis.
Turned out I had a very old thermo switch set for 180°. The new Weddle recommended temp is 150° or 155°. I bought one from @Sean@Weddle and got it installed and my pump runs much more often now.

That is the one that I have.  So in your opinion the pump is worth it especially to help increase the longevity of the main bearing?

That is the one that I have.  So in your opinion the pump is worth it especially to help increase the longevity of the main bearing?
the pump is tapped so it sprays the gears,  The best way to help the main bearing is to go to a larger trans,   I am not sure, you can ask Daniel when you pick it up, but i thing your 4E has a smaller main shaft bearing, if so getting Jeff's Trans might be the trick, 

I just added the weddle pump to my trans when it got rebuilt. Everyone I spoke to with high horsepower cars has the pump turn on with the ignition. That is how I did mine as well. It’s noisy when it’s cold but I can’t hear it over the fuel pump once it warms up, and I know it’s pumping lube at all times.

Back