Transaxle for V8

Clay

Reaction score
I have an AMC 304 to put in a 4-seat sand rail. This is my first build. What transaxle would work?

First step; call Kennedy Engineering and see if they have a flywheel & adaptor plate. If so you can use 2D 

But the 304 might not be the best choice. Not a lot of power and not a lot of support in the buggy world. You’d be better off with an NA Honda. 

I would do a LS 5.3 with a holley Harness, will be a super easy way to go, almost plug and play, 

I have seen 5.3 on ebay with coil packs for $800

as previously mentioned the weight and problems of using that 304 just are not worth the trouble.  you can sell the 304 and pick up a very common adapter to use the LS/weddle 2d combo. 

Got it! The 304 came out of my '72 CJ5. Thought I would use iI. LS sounds much better and easier. Thanks for the feedback!

How much weight are you pushing?  How much HP do you want?

The list of motors, with AL heads, at a minimum, from 2.0-3.0 liters, that will put out 150-250 hp is endless (what that 304 puts out).   Not sure what it puts out, but in the late 70s, power went to nothing in American cars.   A 305 Chevy sometimes put out about 165HP.  That is, carbureted, electronic ignition (Non-Computer) motors.  You can find AL blocked Hondas, Nissans, Mitsubishis, and Subarus.  But, the possibility of you needed to wire in a computer is more, way more.

Both motors (computer controlled vs carbed have their benefits).

My guess is that a 304 V8 would have a pretty good re-sale as it will bolt right up in a CJ.

Talk to Kennedy, start watching Craigslist for wrecks, buy the whole thing and recycle the rest.  You'll get a radiator and fans w/it.  

I might know a guy that can help you with transaxles once you sort out your motor, I'll put you in touch. (psst, just use an LS)

HTE on the board has a 4E coming up for sale, not sure how much HP you looking at but might be a good start, 

Back