Trans shop in AZ

bkuips

Reaction score
New to me car had a clutch done by previous owner right before i bought it and the shop he used messed up bad and now i need to find a shop to get the car in before thanksgiving.  Anyone in AZ have a recommendation on someone that can get it in for me. 

x2 for Kevin McMullen....

Does great work and a great person to work with.  

Motor has to come out and i dont have the facilities to do it so i am looking for a shop that i can just drop the car off at.

McMullen in Peoria, AZ is a full service shop for prep and fabrication. His son races Class 10 and 6100 Spex truck. Great program and they know what they're doing.

x3 for Kevin, I know they are racing the baja 1000 so it might be tough to get it done by turkey day. Is it a clutch issue or transmission problem? What part of phoenix are you in? I may know someone that can pull the engine in Mesa, that may help speed the process up for Kevin.

X4 for Kevin.

He is fixing my gear box now.

No way will he be able to take anything else on this week.

He has 4 cars in his shop currently.

He leaves for Baja on Friday mid day.

Is it just the clutch?

X5 for Kevin.  

As others mentioned there is no way you will get it done before Thanksgiving though.

If its just a clutch you could try calling Joe Fab out in Apache Junction and see if he has time for it out there.  We did my clutch at the fab shop in Glamis years ago when it was slipping.  Was in an out of there in an hour.  You would need to have a new one ready to go though.  Dont think you have time to send yours back in for R&R.

X4 for Kevin.

He is fixing my gear box now.

No way will he be able to take anything else on this week.

He has 4 cars in his shop currently.

He leaves for Baja on Friday mid day.

Is it just the clutch?
Yes it is just the clutch im having an issue with the fly wheel just spinning when i hit the starter.  Going to try and pull myself tonight.

For the cost of this you can go to Harbor Fright and buy a Cherry Picker or buy one off Craiglist.

I think what you meant to say was, the starter is just spinning when you engage the starter.....if that is the case, look at your starter first.

Sounds like an issue with the starter, pull the starter and bench test it, see what the gear on it looks like, and if it’s beat up have someone turn the motor over by hand and look at the teeth on the flywheel to see if there’s any broken teeth. Most likely the starter just isn’t engaging, foddrils may have them in stock, if not try kartek 

Yes it is just the clutch im having an issue with the fly wheel just spinning when i hit the starter.  Going to try and pull myself tonight.
Like the ring gear came loose?

You might be able to pull the starter, rotate the engine around realigning the gear, and then spot weld it back to the flywheel.

I have seen (just once) a ring gear spin loose on a flywheel, as K&R said, so that could be it, and you could do a bunch of spot welds for a band-aid. A much more common is that the Bendix (or overrunning clutch) in the starter goes bad. Also once we had a brand new high $$$ gear reduction starter that somehow got engaged on the racecar during a race and it wore all the teeth off the pinon (I suspect due to a lack of proper tooth clearance). Also seen flywheel ring gears with one spot that had all the teeth worn off. You can try putting it in high gear and rocking the car a bit and then hit the starter.

I see you said the car is new to you. Has it ever started right since you got it? I've also seen mismatched starter/flywheel combinations.

Got it figured out.  Ring gear came off the fly wheel.  Took the flywheel and ring gear to Kevin McMullen.  Said hes seen it before and welded it up for me.  Great guy and awesome shop would highly recommend him.

Back