Trailer Suspension Upgrades

Mac

Reaction score
I've seen a few on here but maybe they were lost.

Looking for suspension upgrades on my trailer (22'Carson Racer).  The trailer 'kicks" back a lot on road joints and potholes.  More so than I would expect it to.  Anything I can do?  

If anyone has done upgrades, was it worth the money as in "OH MY GOD!!!  THIS IS THE BEST EVER!!!" or was it just , "yeah, it's a little better..."

I've been looking at these...is there a better brand over others?

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Leaf-Spring-Suspension/MORryde/MR27ZR.html?feed=npn&gclid=CjwKCAjwvrOpBhBdEiwAR58-3HKZV6wUd0mDhQsqfYnPKkx0iwKBOrfTuWoX-7iMdI7ZNQ5_CC5MuhoC-ZMQAvD_BwE

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Leaf-Spring-Suspension/Dexter/K71-652-00.html?feed=npn&gclid=CjwKCAjwvrOpBhBdEiwAR58-3EQiQwb6A2HKUCximPhY6Rm-YOBBSqj5U2ISG3JFuOdJ_XNEGE7JWhoCYooQAvD_BwE

@TheLatinLover Didn't you do something like this?  How would you rate it?  Worth it?

Looking for suspension upgrades on my trailer (22'Carson Racer).  The trailer 'kicks" back a lot on road joints and potholes.  More so than I would expect it to.  Anything I can do?  

If anyone has done upgrades, was it worth the money as in "OH MY GOD!!!  THIS IS THE BEST EVER!!!" or was it just , "yeah, it's a little better..."

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Leaf-Spring-Suspension/MORryde/MR27ZR.html?feed=npn&gclid=CjwKCAjwvrOpBhBdEiwAR58-3HKZV6wUd0mDhQsqfYnPKkx0iwKBOrfTuWoX-7iMdI7ZNQ5_CC5MuhoC-ZMQAvD_BwE

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Leaf-Spring-Suspension/Dexter/K71-652-00.html?feed=npn&gclid=CjwKCAjwvrOpBhBdEiwAR58-3EQiQwb6A2HKUCximPhY6Rm-YOBBSqj5U2ISG3JFuOdJ_XNEGE7JWhoCYooQAvD_BwE

@TheLatinLover Didn't you do something like this?  How would you rate it?  Worth it?
I don't recall the name but yes, and it made a significant improvement.

Reactions: Mac

I installed the EZ Flex on my old 5th wheel. It made a noticeable difference. It was a heavy triple axle rig tho. I'd think the moryde or road armor unit would probably be the ticket for your trailer.

I have 2 flatbeds and an enclosed on my fleet. Flatbeds and can 4-5k miles each month and thw enclosed does around 2k miles. I installed the Dexter equalizers installed on both flatbeds and I could feel a difference but my son, who does the most driving said it feels the same to him. I really wanted thicker Hangar tabs and greaseable hardware. 

Screenshot_20231016_165717_Message+.jpg

Screenshot_20231016_165811_Message+.jpg

I have 2 flatbeds and an enclosed on my fleet. Flatbeds and can 4-5k miles each month and thw enclosed does around 2k miles. I installed the Dexter equalizers installed on both flatbeds and I could feel a difference but my son, who does the most driving said it feels the same to him. I really wanted thicker Hangar tabs and greaseable hardware. 

View attachment 83707

View attachment 83708
I have 7K axles. The Dexter setups I saw were for 8K.  Any difference?

heavy duty shackle kit with bronze bushings and wet bolts

View attachment 83733

the old Weekend warrior treatment always helps sway.  Tube welded side to side at the spring hangers.,

View attachment 83734
That's a great idea. I needed my deck lifted a couple inches and had my repair shop weld on drop brackets. Easily gave an extra 2" between the deck and tires.

Screenshot_20231016_165717_Message+.jpg

So this just threw a wrench in my plans...

I have torsion axles.   I don't have leafs.

Anyone have any input on upgrading the ride for those?  The cost is double for components from what I can see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anyone have any input on upgrading the ride for those?  The cost is double for components from what I can see.
I'm out, got no experience with those.  

Torsion axles are better than leaf spring axles. 

All my trailers have been torsion axle trailers and never had any towing issues. Only thing I can think of for what you describe is making sure trailer is level, so one axle isn't caring more load then the other.

I like Torsion axles better myself for ride quality, and I heard they don't require maibtence like leaf spring axles, no metal on metal contact and they are way quieter - maybe  they are just too heavy?  and weighed does not make a difference from empty

A 22' trailer  I would think 7K axles are overkill. Most enclosed have 3500 axles or 5200lb axles after all how much can you carry in a 22' ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Torsion axles better myself for ride quality, and I heard they don't require maibtence like leaf spring axles, no metal on metal contact and they are way quieter - maybe  they are just too heavy?  and weighed does not make a difference from empty

A 22' trailer  I would think 7K axles are overkill. Most enclosed have 3500 axles or 5200lb axles after all how much can you carry in a 22' ?
I had Universal Trailers build me a 20' enclosed last year. I upgraded to the 7k 8 lug axles. I think it was $1500 upgrade. Worth it to know I will not overload them.

Back