Toyota Trucks in Dunes

Crusty

Reaction score
Interesting stuff... my '84 and '91 4 cyl 4x4 could cruise around the sand...but no like these guys..

2 hours ago, Crusty said:

Interesting stuff... my '84 and '91 4 cyl 4x4 could cruise around the sand...but no like these guys..

Love those two yotes!  Maybe my WJ will do okay out there once the 6.1 SRT Hemi goes in.  It already has triple bypasses and hydro bumps...

-TJ

Love those two yotes!  Maybe my WJ will do okay out there once the 6.1 SRT Hemi goes in.  It already has triple bypasses and hydro bumps...

-TJ
You gonna put an auxiliary radiator in the back?

You gonna put an auxiliary radiator in the back?
I think I'm going to need one that size of the whole roof rack. 🙂  But seriously, no, at this time that's not in the plans.  The interior is still 100% street.  It has an aftermarket HU and stuff (Alpine Halo9, kind of a cool setup) but I really want to keep the interior not chopped up.  Rear radiator would mean firewalling off the rear area, opening up the rear quarter windows for airflow in, and then back glass for airflow out.  I still want to be able to camp from the thing, so I need that space. 

The vented hood setup I did has helped a good bit, and the people I know that have put Hemis in these things report they run cooler than the 4.7s.  Still, I'm going to do some things to help out.  First, we're going to relocate the trans cooler and eliminate the in-radiator trans circuit.  It already has an external trans cooler too, but right now it's mounted up front, we're going to replace that with a larger cooler, but tuck it up under the fully belly skid somewhere and it'll have dedicated fans.  Where the current trans cooler is (or maybe literally the same unit) will become a big oil cooler.  Then, if I can find somebody to do it I'll have a custom radiator made to eliminate the trans circuit all together and perhaps gain some core thickness and capacity (it's already an all-AL, thicker-than-stock aftermarket unit).  

I'm leaving the 6.1 pretty mild.  They were 425/420 HP/TQ, and all it's getting is a refresh (after all this, I'm not putting a questionable junkyard motor in the thing) and a little cam.  It'll prob be around 450-475 HP (475 has a nice ring to it, since that's what 392 JL has...).  I also just ordered a ATS Stage III 545RFE for it. 

-TJ

The vented hood setup I did has helped a good bit, and the people I know that have put Hemis in these things report they run cooler than the 4.7s.  Still, I'm going to do some things to help out.  First, we're going to relocate the trans cooler and eliminate the in-radiator trans circuit.  It already has an external trans cooler too, but right now it's mounted up front, we're going to replace that with a larger cooler, but tuck it up under the fully belly skid somewhere and it'll have dedicated fans.  Where the current trans cooler is (or maybe literally the same unit) will become a big oil cooler.  

-TJ
I bought 2 of these for my TBSS.  On for trans, the other for engine oil.  I was surprised that they weren't POS for $85 with a fan..  Now that it's not a bazillion degrees out, they have a chance at getting installed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/272563452330  The first two pics are more accurate to what I received than the others..

Last edited by a moderator:
Back