Tire Bonnet vs Through Wheel vehicle securement

JBL

Reaction score
What you guys preference to use when securing Cars/SXS to trailer.  My toyhauler has 6 tie down points and I secure through wheel and also frame.  I know the other way is using a bonnet but if I went that route I'd have to install tracks.  I see car haulers on roads securing vehicles both ways so what are your thoughts?

My preference is the bonnets.... my tie downs in the toyhauler aren't set quite right and I don't feel like cutting in more tie downs in there so I use the through-the-wheel lassos in the hauler. In the enclosed I have e-track and use bonnets. 

I have always gone to the frame in everything Ive put into my trailer. 

My straps had loops and clips so I could directly couple with the clip or loop around a frame or mount & back to the clip depending on the vehicle.

I've been running the bonnet style for 20yrs. I need a set of thru wheel straps now that my setup has changed.

Fronts with bonnets and rears thru-wheel will be my new tie down style.

Keeps wheels planted on the trailer and body can rock and roll as it wants.

Reactions: JBL
either way over the tire or through the tire, (just as long as the wheel is not sharp).  Is the best way, to the frame gives you a chance of the car suspension compressing and loosening the strap.  I have been using these for the last couple years and really like this lasso style.  I angle the strap forward and backward to keep car from rocking around. 

image.png

Reactions: JBL
The down side to the bonnet style is the shocks get a giant azz workout.  On a drag car that sees 1/4 mile use you can wear out a set of shocks in one trip across country.  Some folks put on "travel shocks" and some use bladders/stabilizers, but most just strap the chassis down and the shocks can't move.

image.png

image.png

Yeah I always went through the frame on SXS and Rail but I noticed on the rail the straps can loosen with the compression and freeway bumps.  hell even wash road can get rough lol.  Thats why I want to go bonnet.  Will get something at sand show at least to strap 3 tires down.  Thanks Gents.

The down side to the bonnet style is the shocks get a giant azz workout.  On a drag car that sees 1/4 mile use you can wear out a set of shocks in one trip across country.  Some folks put on "travel shocks" and some use bladders/stabilizers, but most just strap the chassis down and the shocks can't move.

View attachment 119324

View attachment 119323
vs being compressed the whole time?

Yeah I always went through the frame on SXS and Rail but I noticed on the rail the straps can loosen with the compression and freeway bumps.  hell even wash road can get rough lol.  Thats why I want to go bonnet.  Will get something at sand show at least to strap 3 tires down.  Thanks Gents.
look up Mac’s tieddowns!   Best in the biz if ya ask me whether you go frame or bonnet their system works well 

vs being compressed the whole time?
Yes.  100% 

And JMHO, if ratchet straps are coming loose there are not enough wraps around the tube inside the ratchet.  They should be almost completely full when tight.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never had a vehicle messed with out there; things change since I've been gone?

Yes.  100% 

And JMHO, if ratchet straps are coming loose there are not enough wraps around the tube inside the ratchet.  They should be almost completely full when tight.  
I’d rather have the car float on the trailer personally 

Back