tips subi/trans removal

JBL

Reaction score
Need tips on how to get my motor transaxle out so I can have the tran gone through.  Then I would put everything back in and take it to Outfront for tuning.  My big question is I cant get a motor lift attached since the intercooler/radiator/panels are in the way.  Am I right to just slide the M&T off the back say on plywood to get it on the ground?  Thanks for help.

20220602_184256 (1).jpg

20220602_184314 (1).jpg

20220602_184242.jpg

20220602_184219.jpg

there are 2 clamps on the lower bars so presumably there are 2 clamps on the other end of these bars that will allow you to remove that rear lower portion of the cage.  take that off & the skid plate & put a floor jack under it & slide it out like a VW motor.  then do the do the same with the trans.  & what @Jtmoney714 said about taking everything out of the car that prevents you from doing that. 

Reactions: JBL
Thanks Bobalos.  Is it a basic stuff to separate the Transaxle from the Motor?  I see the bolt mating the two and will start after removing and labeling everyconnection.  I dont want to be surprised when I take it off, thanks for tips.

Yes 4 bolts/studs that run thru the transmission bellhousing. No need to mess with the adapter bolts that go into the back of the subi block.

I have never done a subi, but....  I'd imagine it's much like a veewee.  If it dont shake out, mash on the clutch peddle and shoot it across the room. LOL 

remove plumbing lines (water, fuel, oil), disconnect wire harness (label if needed), oh yeah disconnect battery first, take off throttle cable and any other misc stuff connected to the motor. Take off starter/four bolts/studs holding the motor on. Take of any motor mounts. The motor will not fall out, it will stay put on the trans. Get your buddy over (or floor jack) and wiggle it out. Subies are not that heavy. I used to pull mine out by myself. Two people helps, but not needed. 

For the trans, take off CV/axle, slave and shift rod. Put a jack under it to hold the weight and unbolt nose cone/mid mount/hanging mount. Slide that effer out. Clean all the CV grease so you don't get it everywhere. 

Go in the house, get your checkbook........ 

Back