Time to Check your Trailers

MWB

Reaction score
So like the title say's it is time to check out them Trailers and Toy Haulers to make sure that your not going to have any issues for the upcoming season.  The reason I am saying this is because I just dropped mine off and got a big surprise.

So last season as I was bringing my trailer home I noticed that the brakes were not what I would call up to par. Sure they engaged but they didn't just stop you at slow speeds. So I took the trailer in to a local guy who I have purchased brakes/ bearing and had a suspension failure repaired in the past.  Figured a day or two in the shop get new brakes bearings repacked/ replaced.

Well I got the call I didn't want to hear.

Last year I knew I had a slight leak in the fresh water. Never more than a drop of two right by the large drain. So I replaced the valve but just before i did it seemed to go away, well I guess that wasn't really the location of the leak. Guess the actual leak was from a transfer line that goes from one tank to the other and it is right above the forward axle.  The reason it stopped "leaking" on the ground was the axle had rusted thru and the water was on the inside of it. Guess they said it was just about rusted all the way thru. 

Also as many remember this trailer has always been a handful and even though the change in truck made a difference it wasn't perfect and with the new car I was wondering how it would handle the additional weight. Well I guess all of the hanger hardware was worn out and as the guy said I bet she was a handful on the road.

So it looks like I am out right about $2K for repairs and we have not got to the brakes as of yet, but I am not liking the way this is going.

So get out there climb under your trailer look things over make sure things are in good shape. Had that axle snapped out in the middle of BFE like in the rollers n the 78 it would not of been good and probably a lot more $$$$$$$

Interesting that you bring this up. 

I was going to start a similar reminder thread. 

Decided it's time for new tires, brakes , drums, check the springs and shackles.

Welp. I dove in and found a broken spring perch. 

Updating the shackles to new as well.

PXL_20210917_011716267.jpg

PXL_20210917_011748044.MP.jpg

PXL_20210917_011752920.jpg

PXL_20210917_011755231.jpg

IMG_20210917_125605_01.jpg

@MWB Good on you for checking it out, could have been bad news Bruh.

Those are some fancy equalizers... are the worth the money?

@MWB Good on you for checking it out, could have been bad news Bruh.
It was/ is bad news for my trip to MTS before the season started.  This one stings like a murder hornet :lol:  

How often are you guys repacking your trailer bearings? Trailer was purchased in Jan of 2020 but I have yet to pull the wheels of. 

How often are you guys repacking your trailer bearings? Trailer was purchased in Jan of 2020 but I have yet to pull the wheels of. 
Everytime I put new tires on for me, that is every three years on my enclosed.

Those are some fancy equalizers... are the worth the money?
My stock ones were shot. Bushings worn thru and equalizer holes ob longed bad. I thing E-Trailer sold me these as a kit for 499.00

Had all the new hardware and bushings in it. Seemed like a fair price for the piece of mind it gives. Plus its an upgrade. We will see how well they work compared to the stock ones.

Now to get my fat arse under the trailer to practice my upside down grinding and welding techniques.

Trailers been sitting for a week while I get the muster to fix that broken tab.

I hate not knowing when I am on fire. :lmao:

If there is any doubt on a part replace it. If a bearing is the slightest bit less than perfect, replace it.

Resized_20180629_213745.jpg

Even with a 100 miles free this was expensive as where the 2 new torsion axles I had to buy. All because a 10 -20 dollar part failed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that you bring this up. 

I was going to start a similar reminder thread. 

Decided it's time for new tires, brakes , drums, check the springs and shackles.

Welp. I dove in and found a broken spring perch. 

Updating the shackles to new as well.

View attachment 14662

All is good with a “cool crisp taste of a COORS light”LOL. 

Just an fyi, I carry spare trailer bearing with me for all my trailers.................pretty easy to swap out if something goes wrong on the road.  

Don't forget to either touch or laser thermometer the hubs and tire tread every stop for high temps.  Braked axles can obviously be really hot, so be careful, but they should all feel/read about the same.

i fixed all my toyhauler problems by selling it to someone else for them  to fix if they choose to.  i gave them full disclosure of the issues i was aware of, and was priced it accordingly. 🙂

Talk about not the bill I wanted..... Plus to go along with it GDS raising the rates and making the special not so special.

New #1 Axle

New Hangers

New Springs

New Bushings

New Break away switch ( mine the pin was rusted shut, would of broke before it hit the brakes)

Then as I expected the brakes were toast so 

X6 new backing plates

X6 new drums

Replace bearings, because if things had gone that far no sense in not having a complete new everything from the tire to the frame.

$3,400.00

Talk about not the bill I wanted..... Plus to go along with it GDS raising the rates and making the special not so special.

New #1 Axle

New Hangers

New Springs

New Bushings

New Break away switch ( mine the pin was rusted shut, would of broke before it hit the brakes)

Then as I expected the brakes were toast so 

X6 new backing plates

X6 new drums

Replace bearings, because if things had gone that far no sense in not having a complete new everything from the tire to the frame.

$3,400.00
Pricey but now you have a piece of mind for this season!

Pricey but now you have a piece of mind for this season!
The biggest, well the second biggest suck is

I store at GDS so piece of mind will be twice :lol:

The biggest suck is that this is the $$$ I wanted to use for suspension work.

This was my axle, I only noticed something was wrong because I stopped and happen to step out and saw the tire sticking out from the side of the trailer, more then normal.

IMG_20180629_200131_219.jpg

My new axles I can remove the axle snout. I carry a spear axle snout, spear bearings and another set all ready to go in a brake drum. I also have extra hardware and grease. 

This was caught soon enough to just need new bearing. The race was not to bad and good enough to go another 400 miles. 

20210606_190632(1).jpg

I found a beer can on the side of the highway to use as a dust cap. Add those to your list they disappear when the bearing gives it up. 

Back