Thought it was my trans - 5 link life!

Mac

Reaction score
I started ripping into my car today to get the transmission out to have it rebuilt since it was making noise.  As I was taking the axles out, I was rotating the wheels to get the CV bolts out.  It started making a clunk, clunk noise...but it didn't sound right.  I started feeling around and trying to find the noise and it ended up being a couple of worn out heim joints.  The rear suspension on my car is a 5 link.  The one arm has worn out heims that move with rotation and led me to believe it was the transmission since it sounded like it was rotational. 

I talked with Kevin and Greasemonkey about it.  I ended up running it with the axels out, cycling it through the gear and doing the old stethoscope trick to see if I heard anything.  All sound.  After that, I drained the trans...all clear and very little fuzz.  So...SEND IT!

I'm pretty excited and relieved.  Rebuilding one of these transmissions would have been a lot more than $100 on 2 new heims.  Lesson learned.  I'm glad I found it.

I am going to go ahead and replace all the heims on the rear links so not to worry about it.  That's going to hurt but still better than a trans rebuild. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my 2D refreshed with Rancho, synchro's, seals and a new reverse gear was just under $1300

Good for you! Saved a bunch. 

Don’t forget the bolts as well. 5 link isn’t kind on heims and bolts. 

I don’t want to be a kill joy but hurry up and go test it around the block to confirm. My guess is although the hiems were worn or loose and making noise with suspension in the air, they wouldn’t be making a rotation noise when on the ground. I can have 5+ hiems worn out very bad and can’t hear a thing on my own car. They just don’t make noise under pressure and on the ground

Agree with John.

I don't think heims would make a noise, especially rotational when spinning the tires.

You are probably going to have your transaxle out, might as well let someone inspect it. If nothing else just for comfort, as if it needs nothing it's not that expensive to have done.

I don’t want to be a kill joy but hurry up and go test it around the block to confirm. My guess is although the hiems were worn or loose and making noise with suspension in the air, they wouldn’t be making a rotation noise when on the ground. I can have 5+ hiems worn out very bad and can’t hear a thing on my own car. They just don’t make noise under pressure and on the ground

Agree with John.

I don't think heims would make a noise, especially rotational when spinning the tires.
Already did that and it's fine.  Definitely a heim issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
200.gif

When I got my PSD I asked McDowell what kind of maint i ahould do on my 2D.  He said "change the fluid every year.  If it has chunks bring it to me, if it has stripper glitter, filler up and letter eat".  LOL 

When I got my PSD I asked McDowell what kind of maint i ahould do on my 2D.  He said "change the fluid every year.  If it has chunks bring it to me, if it has stripper glitter, filler up and letter eat".  LOL 
He builds one hell of a 2d. Listen to him. 

Back