The Jury Rigged thread, lets see it and hear your story, pics please

John@Outfront

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
hopefully these are personal stories and not stuff off the internet

BTW i looked it up and the right spelling is Jury but through the years has also been changed to Jerry

my trip to the dunes on Nov 4th  was heading past Ocotillo Wells, just coming out of the canyon and my single axle trailer seemed a little squirrely and it seemed low on one side.  pulled over and had lost 2 of the 5 leafs on one side.  the trailer was listing and the tire was touching the inside of the fender at 12 o'clock enough to discolor my fender (no tire damage yet) really no good tools with me.  limped into Brawley to Ace hardware and they happen to have   a 3 set of Crescent wrenches normally $49 for $19.99 on sale.  i bought them for being able to tighten the u bolt nuts but they weren't going anywhere.  I then drove to a few trailer places to get the parts i needed to make the fix at Glamis like a ubolt and plate kit.  but i was late getting to Glamis so i borrowed a floor jack from the place i bought the parts and did this.  it worked so well i drove home like that so i could do it at the shop

the electrical tape was to keep them in there when i was hitting  jumps on the way home😄BE222A8E-0412-4C3D-878F-22DF1C34DB88.jpeg

77E2F5EF-D227-47A3-9F22-134A51A4DC1B.jpeg

C0813240-261A-4005-845F-4AB8FA33DCDF.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice save and execution of the newly acquired tools! 
Was it your wife that salvaged her trip to a Vegas by home patching the rim/tire? If so,that’s some great farm/ranch engineering! 

Nice save and execution of the newly acquired tools! 
Was it your wife that salvaged her trip to a Vegas by home patching the rim/tire? If so,that’s some great farm/ranch engineering! 
yes, on   her trip to St George!

Couple of hose clamps and your good for the season. Nice on the road fix.

No pictures of said event but one year on the drive home my alternator died just as I left Yuma. My buddy luckily was behind me and we would leave his truck and switch batteries. First time it lasted about an hour by the end of the trip (4 hours) it was about 30 minutes a run.

No pictures of said event but one year on the drive home my alternator died just as I left Yuma. My buddy luckily was behind me and we would leave his truck and switch batteries. First time it lasted about an hour by the end of the trip (4 hours) it was about 30 minutes a run.
a lot easier then changing an alternator on the road!  good one

Hmmm, is it "jury" rigging to call jerry rigging jury rigging? 

fsm_jerry_rigg_diploma.jpg

-TJ

Where I come from it was neither Jury or Jerry, but as we’ve gotten older I just say Jimmy Jam that 5h1t together and let’s get back on the road!

Hit some serious wind right around Salton city back in mid October.  Look out my mirror to see this.

Went through the trailer and started pulling floor trim screws. Got her screwed back on and it held for the 1200 mile trip home.20211018_135524.jpg20211019_075213.jpg

Hmmm, is it "jury" rigging to call jerry rigging jury rigging? 

-TJ
Source, google:

Jury rigging (also called "jerry rigging" and by similar phrases) is both a noun and a verb describing makeshift repairs made with only the tools and materials at hand. Its origin lies in such efforts done on boats and ships, characteristically sail powered to begin with.

so to clarify, is it "jerry" to call jury rigging jerry rigging?  answer
=yes

I'll take a picture of a recent repair when I get home (keep it as a spare since it worked perfectly), but this sheeyit has saved my bacon more than twice:

71-wGhBO0QS._SY550_.jpg

Just clean it reasonably well, have a buddy hold the busted part while you wrap it keeping the tape stretched tight.  Has held in fuel, oil, coolant and sorta kinda power steering fluid (couldn't hit the stops or it burst).

I'll take a picture of a recent repair when I get home (keep it as a spare since it worked perfectly), but this sheeyit has saved my bacon more than twice:

Just clean it reasonably well, have a buddy hold the busted part while you wrap it keeping the tape stretched tight.  Has held in fuel, oil, coolant and sorta kinda power steering fluid (couldn't hit the stops or it burst).
there's something that should be in the other thread (what to keep in your tool kit thread)

ill put one in mine now

hopefully these are personal stories and not stuff off the internet

BTW i looked it up and the right spelling is Jury but through the years has also been changed to Jerry

my trip to the dunes on Nov 4th  was heading past Ocotillo Wells, just coming out of the canyon and my single axle trailer seemed a little squirrely and it seemed low on one side.  pulled over and had lost 2 of the 5 leafs on one side.  the trailer was listing and the tire was touching the inside of the fender at 12 o'clock enough to discolor my fender (no tire damage yet) really no good tools with me.  limped into Brawley to Ace hardware and they happen to have   a 3 set of Crescent wrenches normally $49 for $19.99 on sale.  i bought them for being able to tighten the u bolt nuts but they weren't going anywhere.  I then drove to a few trailer places to get the parts i needed to make the fix at Glamis like a ubolt and plate kit.  but i was late getting to Glamis so i borrowed a floor jack from the place i bought the parts and did this.  it worked so well i drove home like that so i could do it at the shop

the electrical tape was to keep them in there when i was hitting  jumps on the way home😄View attachment 18715

View attachment 18716

View attachment 18717
Screamin deal! haha
That's awesome that it worked!!

I did the same thing coming back from a BITD race in Vegas. We did the Battery switch game from the bottom of the I-15 Cajon Junction to El Cajon. Only switched out twice. 

Source, google:

Jury rigging (also called "jerry rigging" and by similar phrases) is both a noun and a verb describing makeshift repairs made with only the tools and materials at hand. Its origin lies in such efforts done on boats and ships, characteristically sail powered to begin with.

so to clarify, is it "jerry" to call jury rigging jerry rigging?  answer
=yes
It was a Yoke...

Where I come from it was neither Jury or Jerry...
Yeah, there was a different word for it... 

-TJ

I had a similar situation when my old Monaco class C battery shorted out internally, that took out the alternator, so we had no power.  My wife was with me, and like most women, she gets all nervous when something breaks on the road.  I got the generator fired up, ran an extension cord up to the drivers seat, plugged in the battery charger and hooked it to the battery cables.  Low and behold the engine started, so we rolled down the road with the charger on my lap and the cables running out the window and under the hood.  It would peg the charger at 50 amps, and throw the thermal breaker every minute, but would kick back on in a few seconds.   Made it to Wally world and got  a new battery.  Wife asked "have you ever done this before?", I said no but we made it.  

Back