That new Ford big block

Jtmoney714

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with it? I don’t need a diesel. I just want to tow my enclosed a few times a year. And a boat in the summer. I also get free gas so that’s  steering me towards the gas motor. But I want to know if people are happy with them or are they a dog. 

A lot of guys I know purchased them. They like it because they knew what they were expecting and they are not trying to haul a 18,000 pound fifth wheel. Most these guys have around 11,000 pound bumper pulls. I had a 2015 F350 with the 6.2 gas which pulled our 10k + toy box with no problems. Please join here and you will see a lot of people have them on this page.

457391F8-8FDB-4F91-80BF-77E3AB314850.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have it in my new 24' class C.

The engine kicks ass! It's definitely not my LLY Dmax but for a gas engine it destroys my old V10, the old 8.1 and of course the 6.0.

Mine is the detuned RV version and it has balls. I could only imagine how good the truck version is.
How is it fuel mileage wise? Comparing to both the diesel towing and the v10?

How is it fuel mileage wise? Comparing to both the diesel towing and the v10?
From what I hear around town it’s comparable. When towing the diesel will be better. Which would be expected. However I’m sure the suspension and the shear quality will be nowhere close to a speed sxs and I’m probably gonna be wasting money getting anything other than that. 

Can't compare to the diesel since that's a truck and this is an RV.

Apples to apples to the V10 its about 1 MPG better than the V10. Negligible, but way more power and torque. 
I assume you meant the 7.3L V8 is ~1MPG better than the V10, both RVs?

-TJ

I don’t know anyone with this engine in a truck. But I was talking to the guy I’ve used for RV repair. I asked how the new 7.3 was doing? He said he was very impressed with what he’s seeing. He said the real test will be to see 3-4 year old with 30-40K engines come in. If & when we are ready to by a newer/used RV it will be the 7.3.

I only have 25k on my 03 Southwind, Workhorse 8.1/Alison combo, so it might be awhile before I commit to buying something new. 

The company that use to be next door to me had a new Chevy Diesel and the New Ford Gas 7.3. Asked the guys what they thought both said they were great trucks and the only difference they noticed was somebody stole the Cat out of the FORD. 

I’ve got it in my new 32 ft class C. I’ve only driven it home from the dealer but felt it had quite a bit of power. We will see how it does pulling my 20ft 6k pound trailer this Glamis season. 

Andrew

Back