Tell us about your Glamis trips so far..............................

John@Outfront

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Been too busy for me to go until after thanksgiving and im not on social media

Share some of your cool stories, pics of your car at the drags LOL, jumps, carnage.  at least I need a fix!

Wife and I did an overnight trip 2 weeks ago.  Heaviest rain I've ever seen as we crossed Gecko.  Went to wash 13.  All was fairly calm until about sunset and wife said it sounded like running water.  Washes started washing!  Huge rain on the east horizon.  Our camp was literally on edge of standing water.

20221015_142559.jpg

20221015_162134.jpg

20221015_170613.jpg

20221015_194801.jpg

20221015_204939.jpg

20221015_200155.jpg

Veterans Week 2022. Where do I start? I'll have to begin with how the Moho ran. EXCELLENT!!! 192,000 miles and that was the "BEST" it's ever ran. I think it's because I've learned (Finally) how to drive it.  Wish I had more time to continue this incredible week of stories. To be continued....................Peace

Had a great time last week at the Veterans Ceremony; a beautiful job done by Glamisveterans.org👍  
the dunes were smooth and easy line picking.  Had lots of ripples to play on surprisingly.  
50FF0656-3EAD-405B-A2B1-33832AA9EA6D.jpeg

717F21A3-CC7C-4203-A4A1-FE7D8A9C1C4A.jpeg

D0E254F8-96A1-42BB-8528-B2B6E2AADDDC.jpeg

F0C87551-067B-441E-93CD-B0F6147EC633.jpeg

B1E1DFA4-2F5F-4FBE-9FEC-CB63CAF6D130.jpeg

1ECCD9A6-FC8E-4ECA-A163-01BE2655E979.jpeg

And now to pull out the good sipping whiskey for those special occasions. 👍
F87B92F6-1EFD-4329-9278-08B3FE13E4F8.jpeg

Woke up 2nd day of driving in Wilcox AZ. Always do a walk around before I get behind the wheel. Noticed the driver side rear outside tire FLAT. Went to the local truck stop and the guy tells me "We don't like working on RV's" So I pull across the highway and call a local Tire repair shop. They send out 3 kids who take the wheel off, notice the valve stem is leaking air, replace the valve stem and on the road again! To be continued..................Peace

Veterans week was spent with amazing People.. Cheff picking lines thru the week that were simply awesome.. Rescue missions to get Friends out of the Dunes. Sampler Leading probably the BEST dune ride to the Flag ceremony I ever been on. Hozay and His crew doing an AMAZING job with the ceremony and everything connected. Great circle to camp with awesome Fire at Night. Most of all Great seeing my entire Sand Family..

Rough start to the season so far. I went out for Camp Razr/Halloween weekend to get the RV and storage all settled - a dry run before the big show. I never unloaded the car and just worked the ASA booth all weekend, helping them out in the eye of the storm. I did manage to make it to the Town Pump in Westmoreland for a Brandt Beef Ribeye that may have been the best steak I've had in 10+ years.

Came out the following weekend to prep for Veterans and had to work on the issues I had identified the previous weekend... a trip to Brawley first thing to replace a pair of group 31 batts that had died. Spent Monday that week on a 6 hr rescue mission, 3 wheeling a 2 seat canam out to pad 5 for a flatbed retrieval - made it to steak night in Armarosa though and enjoyed a great steak and the meat sweats. Rest of the week was spent with very little riding, a lot of wrenching, and a couple of bottles of good whiskey. The weekend comes and things are going great and according to plan until someone in camp (Gearhead from the old board) let's us know that his car is at the swingset and now it's dark... Friday night before the big show I should have deferred but someone needed to lead a nightride to the swingset and yall know I cant pass up a good nightride :lol:  Got back waaaaay too late and started stressing about the next day. Saturday comes and an hour late getting out of camp, the ride out turns into a shitshow, stressed af ...but we eventually made it and pulled off a decent event.

On the way back to camp from the ceremony the shitshow continued and I'd had enough, got a little hot, and took my eye off the ball for one second - BAM - stuffed it into a hole. It was a good hit - seat belts locked and still haven't released yet :bangin:  Front end was toast, sent everyone back to camp, called the snow cat and they were already booked for the rest of the day. Luckily we had someone in camp that, while not familiar with G is 110% on rescues ...dude was cool as a cucumber the whole 6 hours we snatched it from the dunes. It had to be towed the whole way, couldn't 3 wheel drive it... and no seat belts down some 40' dunes was fun... but we made it back to camp at 9pm from the ceremony. Too upset to eat, had some Johny black and a cigar and called it a night... spent the next day just packing up and finally out of G at 2pm, had to two everything home for now and season is over until the car is back together.

chit. Absolute chit. :cry:

Pulled into Yuma to gas up for the final time on our way in. Gas pump don't work. Drove across the street to Fry's grocery store for some last minute groceries. Decided to have cocktails / spend the evening in the parking lot, cook dinner / watch a movie / shop in the morning. Back up to a semi and BAM, hit the dude with my trailer. Didn't judge his massive cattle guard on the front end of his rig. 1/4 mph bump. Got out / walked back to see what the damage was and this dog was sitting on the dash looking at me with that look on his face....."WTF idiot?" The driver was sleeping. Never saw him. No harm no foul. To be continued......................Peace 

First trip this season. Car was running good. About 10 minutes into first ride It started breaking up and running rough down low but ran good up top, then it started running real rough and making expensive sounds. 

Buddy tried to pull me out with his rail but had desert trans on and didn’t have enough traction. Brother got his truck stuck in a bowl trying to get out to recover me. Got him out and towed my rail back to camp. 

Now burgers on the grill and cold beers. Still better than being at work. 

I’m guessing connecting rod broke. I’m not sure that I’m interested in repairing the vw so it’s probably time for a motor swap. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back