Tatum purchases Racer’s buggy division

making some popcorn so I can read all the comments about what they actually bought.  How many Racer sandcars have been made lately?  Maybe I am totally wrong, or off-base; but I thought he (Dale) was focused on other things (racing, etc).  As a business owner; trying to understand how this benefits Tatum?.........

Man this site has changed a lot over the years.  Thought this would have been posted here as soon as it went up on IG yesterday.  It was DMd to me by 5 people on IG within minutes.  Even got a text from @DZRTRUNwondering if anyone here knew about it because it was all crickets.

I give my $.02.  The Barbieri family bought Tatum.  They have also raced Class 1 in Racer cars for many years as well as own several Racer sand cars.  Great family.  Dale builds RacerX boats now.  I was at Racer early last year and he had 10 sand car chassis', and a few boat hulls, in various stages of the build process.  Three cars were fully assembled and ready to tear down for paint/PC.  Dale and I walked through the shop and he showed me the differences in his new stuff compared to his old designs.  I liked what I saw. Racer is always full and seems to be thriving.  I hope the Barbieri family continues to build some of the badest sand cars out there in the same tradition as Dale did with Racer. 

Not sure at 19 he’s the one making moves. Anyone that didn’t see this coming probably doesn’t camp near the family.  They all drive racers and have continued to even after purchasing Tatum.  

Not sure at 19 he’s the one making moves. Anyone that didn’t see this coming probably doesn’t camp near the family.  They all drive racers and have continued to even after purchasing Tatum.  
I like Chase, good kid.  But pretty obvious it's Nick and Kimmie's backing.

But it's funny to think- Dad! buy me Tatum (foot stomping).  Then- Dad! Buy me Racer (foot stomping).

Man this site has changed a lot over the years.  Thought this would have been posted here as soon as it went up on IG yesterday.  It was DMd to me by 5 people on IG within minutes.  Even got a text from @DZRTRUNwondering if anyone here knew about it because it was all crickets.

I give my $.02.  The Barbieri family bought Tatum.  They have also raced Class 1 in Racer cars for many years as well as own several Racer sand cars.  Great family.  Dale builds RacerX boats now.  I was at Racer early last year and he had 10 sand car chassis', and a few boat hulls, in various stages of the build process.  Three cars were fully assembled and ready to tear down for paint/PC.  Dale and I walked through the shop and he showed me the differences in his new stuff compared to his old designs.  I liked what I saw. Racer is always full and seems to be thriving.  I hope the Barbieri family continues to build some of the badest sand cars out there in the same tradition as Dale did with Racer. 
Thanks for filling us in. My bank account doesn't apply. Wondering if I should be worried or something. Hmm. 🤔

All good info.  I did not know the backstory although I have followed Racer on ig for years.  Hopefully it turns out to be a win/win for both Dale/Racer and Tatum.  Maybe they (Tatum) will have two branches (1) Racer - building baja racecars and (2) Tatum - building sandcars.

Was biting my nails, this was coming for some time, wanted to say something but could not,   

They are only purchasing racer sandcars,  Dale is keeping the Race cars and the boats, motor division,  

This will be a good thing,  

They are committed to making a better quality car,  soon you will have the look of a Tatum and handling like a racer,  will be a amazing car,  

Last edited by a moderator:
Was biting my nails, this was coming for some time, wanted to say something but could not,   

They are only purchasing racer sandcars,  Dale is keeping the Race cars and the boats, motor division,  

They are committed to making a better quality car,  soon you will have the look of a Tatum and handling like a racer,  will be a amazing car,  
That would be awesome. 

I'm hopeful the new owners will bring some of their experience in racing and prepping Class 1 cars to the Tatum brand. Rich was cutting corners. How hard is it to properly shank a pivot bolt? Not hard at all. A 3" shock bolt shouldn't have 2.5" of thread.

I'm hopeful the new owners will bring some of their experience in racing and prepping Class 1 cars to the Tatum brand. Rich was cutting corners. How hard is it to properly shank a pivot bolt? Not hard at all. A 3" shock bolt shouldn't have 2.5" of thread.
At least someone says it the way it is.  There is a lot of corner cutting and bs in the sand world.  Shoot the off-road world as a whole.  

SHEET!!!  that's just the way Canam, Polaris and lots of aftermarket company operate in the golf cart community.  

It makes no difference to me who owns Tatum or Racer. I can't afford a quarter million dollars for a toy and never will. I don't even look at them anymore when I see them.  I realized many years ago there were things in life that were out of reach so I spend zero time thinking about them.

I wish them all the best and look forward to seeing what they bring to the sand. Both are bad ass cars..

Back