SXS Desert guys - Sport UTV Shootout video

Cliff notes?

I can't watch blog dudes for any subject...haha

Cliff notes?

I can't watch blog dudes for any subject...haha
Pro R came out on top.  They had a variety of drivers and cars.   Suspension was great on the Speed UTV and it can not stop in the dirt after jamming on the brakes at 50mph.  Took 150 feet.  New Can Am Maverick R stopped in under 80'.    

Hahaha, that is funny. The more SxS "content" I watch, the more I understand why all these guys wad up their cars. 
Yep. It was an odd video and opinions afterwards. For example:

1. Speed was #1 for suspension, Can Am 3, but then there’s a video clip of a Can Am following the Speed and clearly being help up everywhere (Can Am takes a bunch of rougher “long cuts” to get around but can’t). 

2. Complaints about how it was harder to drive with gears. This was then proven when you see guys approach a large G out or bump by completely chopping the throttle rather than going neutral or slight acceleration to avoid loading up the front suspension before a bump (bad). I think a lot of these guys never learned to drive a manual transmission in rugged terrain. There’s chit you can do with a CVT you just can’t when you have actual gears and engine braking. They just expect to smash through things and the car figures it out, rather than using the gearbox/engine to give you the best possible outcome. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I was surprised by the results - especially by the Pro driver that praised the Pro-R 

Not extremely scientific but a good effort 

Probably close to real-life for most buyers

If they did that shoot out in the dunes it would be a drinking game on the number of roll overs

Not too surprised by their results, especially most like the suspension of the longer wheelbase cars.

IDK about the validity of the brake test since every car just locked the brakes up......Weight, suspension and tire selection is probably more important to stopping distance than actual brakes in this particular test.  The heavy speed car did poorly in braking, but maybe RG's tires aren't that good in that situation.

IDK about the validity of the brake test since every car just locked the brakes up......Weight, suspension and tire selection is probably more important to stopping distance than actual brakes in this particular test.  The heavy speed car did poorly in braking, but maybe RG's tires aren't that good in that situation.
The Pro R 4 seater weighs about the same as the Speed UTV.    The brakes apparently are not good.   Even with different tires it might of stopped 10' sooner which is still way more than the 4 seat pro r.   

The brakes are not good, there's no hiding it.
I agree, but given the other car results; seems more like a traction test than brake test.  Seems that doing the test on pavement would really show the differences in braking.

I agree, but given the other car results; seems more like a traction test than brake test.  Seems that doing the test on pavement would really show the differences in braking.
The Chupacabra test, the Speed was last as well, but not double as bad, I'm not sure why they are getting almost double the stopping distance here, but if you watch the video, it's the only car that doesn't lock the brakes.

I'm also speaking from experience.

The Chupacabra test, the Speed was last as well, but not double as bad, I'm not sure why they are getting almost double the stopping distance here, but if you watch the video, it's the only car that doesn't lock the brakes.

I'm also speaking from experience.
Yeah, it's really odd since skinny 15s should lock up easy in the dirt, even if the pads were literally made of wood.  It's almost like there isn't enough hydraulic pressure there.

Hopefully it’s just air trapped in the system and just needs to be bled completely of air. The owner of the Speed car Chad was taking it back to Speed to see what is up. Maybe they can retest the stopping power afterwards and give us the results. Thankfully he lives in Havasu.  

Hopefully it’s just air trapped in the system and just needs to be bled completely of air. The owner of the Speed car Chad was taking it back to Speed to see what is up. Maybe they can retest the stopping power afterwards and give us the results. Thankfully he lives in Havasu.  
Unless it's a bunch of patented RG brake stuff, it should take two guys about 4 minutes to bleed those brakes out real quick.

Last edited by a moderator:
  Other owners have said the brakes suck, but the one in the video was scary bad.   Curious to hear what the people that did the Wilwood brakes have to say compared to stock.  

Back