Swivel wheel and double tow endorsement in CA

Darglestein

Reaction score
Hey y’all. 

looking for some input and advice. We are looking for a new trailer and want to go to a fifth wheel this time. The problem is we prefer to keep our trailer as short as possible so we can get into as many parks as possible. 

this leaves the obvious downside of limited garage space. I’m looking at the swivel wheel setup from cruiser lift  to help with this.

http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel-58-dual-wheel

I’m wondering if people have experience with this? 
How bad of an affect does this have on weight balance.

And also does anyone have experience with this and the CHP? As this is setup to be technically a trailer extension, do chp officers actually realize that? Or are they ignorant to it and would give you a ticket anyways for double towing?

that leads me to the next question. How difficult is it to get a double(triple) tow endorsement? And does the chp still harass you if your doing it even though you have an endorsement?

thanks y’all!

I’m pretty sure it is considered a trailer and therefore you’d need a CDL with doubles endorsement. You’d probably get away with not having it if you don’t drive like a fool. In my experience, the CHP commercial enforcement guys want nothing to do with RVs. They want semis and hotshot guys. 

just tow an aluminum flatbed  behind your 5th wheel. 
Are you just saying an extension ramp hanging off some recievers? or an actual trailer?

I’m pretty sure it is considered a trailer and therefore you’d need a CDL with doubles endorsement. You’d probably get away with not having it if you don’t drive like a fool. In my experience, the CHP commercial enforcement guys want nothing to do with RVs. They want semis and hotshot guys. 
ya thats my concern. I hear nothing but good things on the swivel trailers and people not getting pulled over. buttttt is it really worth it.

My thought right now is to weld in two receivers that would fit the swivel wheel, but try out an extension platform first to see how well it tows with the weight hanging off the back like that.

I would say what your going to put on that swivel trailer would have more input as to if I was to do something like that, over some CHP having a heartburn about weather it's a trailer or not.

Back