Swingaxle shock setup?

Conrad

Reaction score
It’s been a long time since I’ve messed with a swinger and I sure as hell ain’t a hard pack guy! 
For rear shocks, a couple fellas told me to run 10” Fox shocks (like class 9) as that was the most travel I can get before the axles bind. 
A fellow has this used set for sale, 2.0x10” Fox internal bypass. Will they work on my sand (only) rail? 
or is there a specific shock you recommend? 

E7A3C787-5280-4575-9F5A-64875103A391.png

It’s been a long time since I’ve messed with a swinger and I sure as hell ain’t a hard pack guy! 
For rear shocks, a couple fellas told me to run 10” Fox shocks (like class 9) as that was the most travel I can get before the axles bind. 
A fellow has this used set for sale, 2.0x10” Fox internal bypass. Will they work on my sand (only) rail? 
or is there a specific shock you recommend? 

View attachment 2810
You sure those are Internal Bypass and not IFPs?

Do you have the torsions still in place?

I dunno, the fella has broken english... per his ad One pair 2.0 x 10” Fox sensitive (bypass internal) in reallygood working conditions$385.00

I'm running the torsion bars (28mm SwayAway) and HD spring plates. Was figuring i'd buy the bolt on shock mounts from Kartek then fab some upper mounts.

KARTEKmnt.jpg

Keep in mind - going with a long shock like that will require a much higher upper shock mount.  I am not sure what chassis you have, but a much higher upper shock mount location may not be possible on an older chassis, not setup for it.  Bigger is not always better......

When I did mine someone in the know who was desert racing swing axles told me to set the torsion arms in the middle of the travel and just use KYB shocks. It worked great and I was surprised. My thought was to load torsion bars, raising the car, but he claimed you limited the travel as you would never fully twist the bars. I ended up setting the arms just one notch down from level (raising the car)as it was bottoming out on hard hits.

When I did mine someone in the know who was desert racing swing axles told me to set the torsion arms in the middle of the travel and just use KYB shocks. It worked great and I was surprised. My thought was to load torsion bars, raising the car, but he claimed you limited the travel as you would never fully twist the bars. I ended up setting the arms just one notch down from level (raising the car)as it was bottoming out on hard hits.
Yep.  1/2-1/3 of travel left for droop is where we left it when we ran that stuff.  Father in law is still running his, 150 in-lb springs on a Fox 2.0 valved by Mirage.  

image.png

Actually does really well considering the limited travel. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are position sensitive shocks. They have holes in inner tube that progresively close  off as piston rises. I have a set and i call them poor mans bypass. They work great  when you get the valving right but you have to make sure you set them up to use all the up travel you can to take advantage of the "bump zone"

Back