Suzuki LTZ400 frame welded

GmFamBam

Reaction score
Sons bike is now a funco-ltz400 lol.  Luckily it happened right next to camp and on the 2nd to last day of our 10 days in the dunes.  Looking for recommendations on who to take it that could possibly fix it, weld it and reinforce the front end back up.  Any suggestions close the IE?  Was thinking about doing a frame swap, but that seems like it will be more than the bike is worth.  Thoughts? 

ltz.jpg

ltz 1.jpg

ltz 2.jpg

Damn I have never seen that kind of failure on a rec quad, how bad did he stuff it?

It was right outside of camp and happened when he came down from a wheelie.  

Those 03-04 ltz400s had a weak point in the front suspension, I thought it was the upper shock mount though. When I had mine I gusseted it, and the 05+ had a guesset. 

Ive never seen one fully break like that though. Maybe it’s been cracking for a while unnoticed and finally gave out. 

I wouldn't fix it, find a used frame, have it race gusseted and then swap it. Probably $500-600 for the whole thing

Those frames are garbage. When i was racing them back in 03 i’d go through a gusseted frame every other month. They were cheap back then...like 500$

I thought about swapping out the frame, but could not find a frame with a title.  Several frames on ebay, but could not find one with a title.  If I swap out the frame, how do I register?  

I did the exact same thing to my quad when i was a kid. same quad, same exact break. did it coming down off a jump. We gusseted and rewelded and never had an issue. still have the quad

I did the exact same thing to my quad when i was a kid. same quad, same exact break. did it coming down off a jump. We gusseted and rewelded and never had an issue. still have the quad
Can you take a picture of yore fix? :snapper:

This seems like an easy fix, doesn't have to be super pretty or made for racing is my thoughts....unless the OP's kid is going to go racing :lol:

Garage Fix, know a buddy with a welding machine?

i'll see if i can get one. The quad is in storage right now and hasn't been used in a few years. saving it for when the kids start riding and need someone to lead them around

I thought about swapping out the frame, but could not find a frame with a title.  Several frames on ebay, but could not find one with a title.  If I swap out the frame, how do I register?  
Take both the old and new to CHP and have them assign a new vin. Show them it was broken and why you replaced the frame. 

Back