Subarugears.com reverse rotation ring and pinion conversion

greevesqub

Reaction score
Thinking about a street legal Manxter DualSport build on a tube manxchassis.com frame.  Will be using a JDM Subaru  initially running NA.  Want transaxle strong enough for low boost turbo if I want more power.  Anyone have experience running one of these in their DualSport or sand cars?  Thanks 

I think it's a 6" R&P, same size as a VW Swingaxle. OK for a pizza cutter tire, but not so good for a 33 or 35" tire. 

Maybe they make more ratios now, but finding a R&P ratio that worked with 33 or bigger tires was a problem. I looked at them years ago for my Manx.

I think it's a 6" R&P, same size as a VW Swingaxle. OK for a pizza cutter tire, but not so good for a 33 or 35" tire. 

Maybe they make more ratios now, but finding a R&P ratio that worked with 33 or bigger tires was a problem. I looked at them years ago for my Manx.
 They go from 3.9:1 to 4.86:1 now.  I have some concerns about how strong it is as eventually I hope to be over 200hp.  I also will be running 33x10.5 or larger tires.  What engine/transaxle did you end up with?

This may not help you much, but I run a stock mt5 that I modified for my sandcar. It is mid engine, though. I removed the center diff, locked the shafts, and installed a 4.44:1 ring and pinion. My last motor dynoed at 245hp/258 ft/lbs torque to the hubs. I am not a drag racer or a clutch dumper, but do drive it fairly hard on dune runs. It has been fine. My new motor should be closer to 300 ft/lbs torque (don't care about the hp number). I run 30" tall paddle tires. 

20210811_181637.jpg

IMG_20180707_212009444.jpg

IMG_20190803_174036949.jpg

They go from 3.9:1 to 4.86:1 now.  I have some concerns about how strong it is as eventually I hope to be over 200hp.  I also will be running 33x10.5 or larger tires.  What engine/transaxle did you end up with?
I ended up with an 091. Started out with weddle 1-4 gears and a VW R&P, broke the R&P and went to weddle everything. It either wears out almost everything, or breaks about every 2-3 seasons. Last repair bill was ~ $3K, needed all bearings, 1-4 gears and some other parts. Made up my mind I would not spend any more money on this box and move to a 2D next time it breaks. BTW, I'm just under 300hp at the crank, 2.5 subie at 10 lbs boost, 33" bfg mud tires in hard pack, no sand. Pump gas, meth injection. With 200 crank hp, an 091 should last a long time if you don't use reverse much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back