Subaru 2.5 turbo plug gap??

BJ_buggyfab

Reaction score
So Fresh off dyno tune the engine is popping/misfires in low rpm like it’s cold or loaded up? Didn’t do this on the dyno but real world driving is different. 

is it possible wrong spark plug gap? 
What’s it’s supposed to be on these turbo 2.5s?

John@Outfront ? Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=20pt]Spark Plug[/SIZE]  NGK (4291) ZFR6F-11 V-Power  Gap to .025.

I will do that. Doesn’t make sense to not have issues while running on the dyno though. 
It is weird considering it's under load on the dyno. If it had the wrong spark plugs/gaps the dyno tuner should have certainly caught that though. Is there any way that he hurt it on the dyno? Does it just pop when you're driving or will it do it in neutral revving?

It is weird considering it's under load on the dyno. If it had the wrong spark plugs/gaps the dyno tuner should have certainly caught that though. Is there any way that he hurt it on the dyno? Does it just pop when you're driving or will it do it in neutral revving?
only under load like short shifts to get 3rd gear with small boost or not quite spooled up. Very strange it didn’t do it on the dyno. 

[SIZE=20pt]Spark Plug[/SIZE]  NGK (4291) ZFR6F-11 V-Power  Gap to .025.
Just pulled the plugs. I ve got ngk ZFR6A plug. Gapped at .044?! 😳

I don’t know who originally installed them but I’ll drop it to .025 and give er a try. 👍🏻 Thanks 

I was reading somewhere that there are a bunch of fake ngk plugs out there and the gaps would open up. 

Just pulled the plugs. I ve got ngk ZFR6A plug. Gapped at .044?! 😳

I don’t know who originally installed them but I’ll drop it to .025 and give er a try. 👍🏻 Thanks 
That is for a turbo motor from Johns post pre crash.

usually if the gap is too wide, the boost will blow out the spark before ignition, not under a low boost situation. But who knows, sometimes fixing the gap can fix all sorts of things.

So test drove after resetting the gap. 
Completely gone! Crazy how .010 difference makes. Much crisper feel and spools instantly. Thanks guys!

I would have bet a thousand bucks that wasn't it. Lol! Glad it was an easy fix!

I'd be curious if your tuner could squeak out some more horsepower now.  Common Sense would say that he was tuning around that gap problem. ( Or trying to tune out the gap problem)

I would have bet a thousand bucks that wasn't it. Lol! Glad it was an easy fix!

I'd be curious if your tuner could squeak out some more horsepower now.  Common Sense would say that he was tuning around that gap problem. ( Or trying to tune out the gap problem)
I thought of that later. He did fight to control knock in that rpm range for several pulls. Might have to ask

Back