Steering box - is this normal?

EastMT

Reaction score
The steering rack moves up and down when the tires are pushed by hand left and right. Is this normal? Is there anything to adjust? Is it worn out and need to be replaced? If so what do you suggest I replace it with considering I would like to eventually replace the 28” front tires with 31” tires.

IMG_0503.MOV

Attachments

Normal and yours isn’t nearly as bad as mine. But I did get a gear one box. I can’t wait to install with the power steering soon. Which virtually has no play but they have a replaceable wear bar inside the box. It takes up that space. If I was going to keep mine I’d go get a piece of plastic or cutting board type material and get the right thicknesses to stick in there. It’ll take away all the play..

Last edited by a moderator:
Normal.  There has to be clearance above the rack gear in the box or it'll bind under load. Some are tighter than others (hehe), but it's not alarming.  I'd take the cover off and regrease it though, probably needs it.  You can add a PTFE shim to take up some of the slack if you want:

https://www.mcmaster.com/products/shim-stock/material~plastic/material~ptfe-plastic/

Cut to size so it fills the entire rack below the top cover. Thickness would be whatever the gap between the top of the rack gear and the bottom of the cover minus a 1/16" or so (guessing here, buy multiple sheets and see what works best).  Modeling clay would get a reasonably accurate-ish measurement.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, thanks guys! Will grease, shim, and run for it's maden trip then consider replacing when I upgrade tires.

The steering rack moves up and down when the tires are pushed by hand left and right. Is this normal? Is there anything to adjust? Is it worn out and need to be replaced? If so what do you suggest I replace it with considering I would like to eventually replace the 28” front tires with 31” tires.

IMG_0503.MOV 12.18 MB · 13 downloads  
That is the Norm for all that style boxes,  there will be a lot of posts about do this and that, but a enclosed box by design will never be better than a wide spread, even a latest rage wide spread will be strong do to all the material added in the box 

Look at the pictures and then take your box apart, the boxes with the pictures have the rack go all the way through the body,   just math, more rack comes into contact with the body, 

they are made in a 2 bolt or a 3 bolt front, 

box.jpg

box 2.jpg

That is the Norm for all that style boxes,  there will be a lot of posts about do this and that, but a enclosed box by design will never be better than a wide spread, even a latest rage wide spread will be strong do to all the material added in the box 

Look at the pictures and then take your box apart, the boxes with the pictures have the rack go all the way through the body,   just math, more rack comes into contact with the body, 

they are made in a 2 bolt or a 3 bolt front, 

View attachment 76657

View attachment 76658
Thanks. I'll take a look at those when I upgrade tires.

Back