Starlink in Glamis

Smokeat

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone on here used Starlink on Halloween weekend in Glamis? There must have been a lot of Starlink users out then, and I was wondering how it worked (such as down/up speeds) during the busiest weekends now that a lot of RV's have Starlink. I have been thinking about getting it for internet & streaming sports while camping, and have been reading that some RV'ers feel that they are getting slow speeds now, as Starlink gets more popular.

So if anyone has any experiences they wish to share, I would appreciate it. Thanks

Just curious if anyone on here used Starlink on Halloween weekend in Glamis? There must have been a lot of Starlink users out then, and I was wondering how it worked (such as down/up speeds) during the busiest weekends now that a lot of RV's have Starlink. I have been thinking about getting it for internet & streaming sports while camping, and have been reading that some RV'ers feel that they are getting slow speeds now, as Starlink gets more popular.

So if anyone has any experiences they wish to share, I would appreciate it. Thanks
Great question, One of the guys in our group has one and a few of us were streaming off of his signal , although it was the weekend before the heard 

Someone in our group had the starlink over Halloween weekend and it was working great for our group. 

My buddy Nick had Starlink at Roadrunner for Halloween.  He was bragging about how badass it was, fast internet, IG, even texts.  Whatever man, not dropping that coin.  He gave me the login and password and HOLY SH!T he wasn't kidding.  The next day I was in my RV scrooling throught IG and replying DM's and emails and my phone was slow AF.  I grabbed a chair and went to Nick's camp and jumped on his Starlink.  Once again, such a hugh difference.  I'm definitely getting it soon.  Need to do some research to see what I can do to use it in the RV and at my home.  I know they have a specific RV/travel deal but I'd like to double up if I can and take it from my home to Glamis.  I think Nick told me $600 for the equpiment and around $130/month.  I pay $79.99 for Spectrum WiFi at home and they can eat a d!ck.

I just got my in-motion set up. Getting it installed this week, fingers crossed it works like its supposed to. With the RV plan you can turn it on and off monthly.  

My buddy Nick had Starlink at Roadrunner for Halloween.  He was bragging about how badass it was, fast internet, IG, even texts.  Whatever man, not dropping that coin.  He gave me the login and password and HOLY SH!T he wasn't kidding.  The next day I was in my RV scrooling throught IG and replying DM's and emails and my phone was slow AF.  I grabbed a chair and went to Nick's camp and jumped on his Starlink.  Once again, such a hugh difference.  I'm definitely getting it soon.  Need to do some research to see what I can do to use it in the RV and at my home.  I know they have a specific RV/travel deal but I'd like to double up if I can and take it from my home to Glamis.  I think Nick told me $600 for the equpiment and around $130/month.  I pay $79.99 for Spectrum WiFi at home and they can eat a d!ck.
I'd be interested in this as well. I know Starlink does the deal where you can turn it on and off as you want. But dropping spectrum and going full starlink would be way easier. Let me know what you find out.

Mines in a box ready to try for my first trip. No more fighting for the only AT&T tower and getting dropped.

I only work 1/hour day now, but without a clean internet it’s hard so I got it. 

We only have a TV in the bedroom of the 5th, but it will be nice to watch something if the wind gets crazy.

Plan on a ton of days in G this season, so the math works for me.

abc

We used the Starlink out there the weekend before Halloween in Wash 10.  It was pretty amazing. I normally use a cell booster, but even on the busy weekends the towers get overloaded and slow.  With Starlink, my wife was able to jump on all her work Zoom meetings without any video/voice issues and she said that is functioned no differently than our service at home. I used it for some work too and did not notice any slowdown in service or buffering.

If you get the RV package, you can turn it off and on monthly as you need it.  We will turn ours on middle of October and off in March when the season ends for us.  

I have priced it out as well, but I need to have a system for house and Moho, I don't see any of those packages.  

Depending on where you need to mount the antenna, I'd just get the home setup and take the antenna and router with you.

I'd never need the travel in motion version.

Depending on where you need to mount the antenna, I'd just get the home setup and take the antenna and router with you.

I'd never need the travel in motion version.
I like the sound of this! Last time I looked the home was $700 plus the monthly and the RV was $600 plus monthly.

If the antenna mounts on & off easy then its a no brainer

I just put it on top of my trailer and feed the cable through the slide, unless you want something permanent it works fine. you can even just set it on the ground and it will work, until someone pulls in a blocks the line if sight. Also a tip to new owners, the satellite is motorized, I almost broke mine trying to fiddle with it not knowing it was.

I like the sound of this! Last time I looked the home was $700 plus the monthly and the RV was $600 plus monthly.

If the antenna mounts on & off easy then its a no brainer
I have no issues having a home and RV set up permanently mounted, actually prefer (I am lazy, I like to keep my camp set up simple).   Is the home and RV box like the old Direct TV where you could just grab from the house.  

One thing, then there would be no internet at home, thus no smart home features would work (nest, ring and so forth).

I currently pay Direct TV $140 a month, internet is $60 a month, I am trying to make the math work.

I have no issues having a home and RV set up permanently mounted, actually prefer (I am lazy, I like to keep my camp set up simple).   Is the home and RV box like the old Direct TV where you could just grab from the house.  

One thing, then there would be no internet at home, thus no smart home features would work (nest, ring and so forth).

I currently pay Direct TV $140 a month, internet is $60 a month, I am trying to make the math work.
If you live in a metro area Starlink is almost useless, at least in Phoenix the upload is like .5mbps at best. The more users in one area saturate the service, in sticks/glamis its goes from not to bad to really good, but at home i only use it as a back up. the box really only consists of the antenna and base a 50' usb-c  cable and the wireless router.

True, I do like turning my ac on before I get home. Backyard lights work off the wifi but thats not a big deal

Going to look into Starlink as well. My company pays for our home internet service so adding just the RV option and with the ability to turn it off when not in use makes sense for me. When I am not traveling for business, I work remote so I can go to G early in the week to get a camp spot on Gecko and just work from my RV during the day....as G fills up it does make it difficult on Teams calls etc. 

I have it too.

get the home addition with portability, nick and i have the same and 135.00 a month. mine works glamis and home no problem

What's the range while in camp? Could the whole camp connect? 

How much does Starlink cost?

High-speed, low-latency broadband internet in remote and rural locations across the globe. $110/mo with a one-time hardware cost of $599.

Is Starlink unlimited data?

SpaceX's Starlink internet has included unlimited bandwidth since launch, and while the service will technically continue to provide that to customers, users who exceed 1TB of data use in a single month will now be throttled once they reach that threshold.

https://broadbandnow.com/starlink

Seems like the hot ticket anywhere in Glamis, it will not work well in Metro Areas they say. Cable/Fiber will always be better in those situations :cheers:

Back