Standing up Quads?

Bansh88

Reaction score
Picked up another 450 today.  Super cherry 2005.  I will now have to stand up 2 quads to fit in the trailer.  I recall discussions in the past but not the do's and don'ts.

2 450's and 2 Banshees.  What prepping do I need to do if any?  I know they need to sit for a while after unloading.   Fuel level in tank an issue?  Something about oil transferring into the case?

What would do better, the banshees or the 450 standing up?  They'll be left vertical a night before in the trailer before heading out.

Is it overall a non-issue and just stand em up?

image.jpeg

On the Yamaha 450 they like to leak gas if the tank is more than 1/4 full when standing them up.   Also the coolant will sometimes leak from the overflow bottle under the seat.   When I had to stand mine up I usually emptied the gas tank and put something under the coolant overflow bottle.  

Keep fuel tanks as empty as possible when transporting, and or have a great fuel tank cap, seal and one way breather on the gas cap.

If your carb is dirty, float valve in particular....you'll know it very quickly :lol:

We never had any issues doing it. 

I'd trust the modern quad to stand up vs the banshee.

Not based on anything other then with age, there is potentially more of a chance for worn out seals, O-rings and other items to let fluids go into other areas.

I'd trust the modern quad to stand up vs the banshee.

Not based on anything other then with age, there is potentially more of a chance for worn out seals, O-rings and other items to let fluids go into other areas.
They're all '02-06.  Maybe I'll do 1 of each and see what happens.  I see quads standing up almost weekly while driving the 78.  Can't be too big a deal.

I have that exact cherry 450 standing in my garage now going on 3 years lol it's wifey's and when I seen you looking for one, I asked her if we should sell it. Damn near had stuff thrown at me from across the room 🤦‍♂️

You'll be fine, no need to do anything. I did the timing mod, bigger jet, gutted muffler, and zip tie mod. Love it but she hardly rides it. Says it burns her leg lol 

I did the timing mod, bigger jet, gutted muffler, and zip tie mod. 
Zip tie mod?  Just read about it.  Actually make an improvement?

Last edited by a moderator:
Stand them all up. There is nothing you will hurt in either engine.  As stated,  you will get fuel out of the cap vent if the tank is too full. If you don’t drain your carb float bowl than you will also get a small amount of fuel out of the carb vents. The YFZ is s dry sump so if it is stood on end for a long time I guess it would be possible for the oil tank to drain into the engine sump. Pretty unlikely but possible over a long period of time. When you put the bike back on all four I would start it and let it idle until the oil in the engine pumps back into the oil tank ( don’t rev the engine).

Zip tie mod?  Just read about it.  Actually make an improvement?
Better ways to do it than with a zip tie but it does work. Carb YFZs suffer from an off idle lean bog. Zip tie mod brings in the accelerator pump sooner helping with the lean condition, lessens the bog.

done it many times with a 450 and raptor just left the fuel tank below 1/2 and grab a commercial door matt to put under them just in case something leaks also check the air filter box for oil before you drive away

Had to stand my sons 90 all the time. Only issue was fuel level. Too much it leaked some. 

years ago I had an atc 250r. I had it stacked in garage for 6 months. Pulled it down fired up on third kick. 

Have had to stand up the kids lt80s, their raptor 250s and the wife's ltz400.

As mentioned. Make sure fuel level.is below cap, turn the fuel off and run the carb dry or drain the carb.

Put some sort of material under or around the grab bar . 

Grab bars made some indentations in my TH floor.  Tieing them down in my trailer is a pain. Back of the truck was easier. 

Just got this sled deck type deal to make it easier on me. Can fit 2 full size machines without standing them 20240124_095029.jpg20240124_165432.jpg20230315_171518.jpgup and a ton of gear underneath now. 

Did it for years with no issues, just made sure the gas tank wasn't full.

As little gas in the tank as possible, Tie downed very well, and put something under them in case of a leak. Once unloaded and started for the first time just let them idle a bite before getting on them.

I used to stand up my Blaster, or my 450 or my Banshee.  Depended on what I was taking.

I drained all fuel and ran the carbs dry, never did anything with oil.

Never had an issue.

6 packs defiantly come into play.  Both the 450 ain't gonna stand with the AC racks.  Banshee's up!

20240222_113216.jpg

Back