Stakes and Tie downs

Mac

Reaction score
We've all been there.   In Glamis...set up a nice camp and the "W" comes rolling in.  I've seen regular stakes, sandbags, buckets filled with sand...you name it.

I saw these and thought I'd share.   Seems pretty cool and would work well without braking the bank.

https://www.groundgrabba.com/collections/all-products

If anyone has or has tried these, I'd like to hear how they worked out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are cool. I wish I had a use for them. 

I did something similar at the house for my boat canopy, I bought 18" lags and an them in to the hard dirt in the backyard. So far so good and up to 80mph  :lol:  

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/shelterlogic-shelterauger-30-in-earth-anchors-4-pack?cid=Shopping-Google-Product-1017980&gbraid=0AAAAAD3fmFOhkoSXCmivrpxBp7ykXd91p&gclid=CjwKCAiAh9qdBhAOEiwAvxIokwygyOURA8cjJo-7AQmKNex6_Sc1_MmkXm0Qf3PkrPBtOtC4xwtutRoC4zgQAvD_BwE

I use some like these, they work pretty  well. I use a big crescent wrench hooked in the eye to screw them in which is kind of a pain, there’s probably a better way. 

I like that those you posted have the bolt head so you can just impact them in, but they’re pricy for sure

04902414-289b-4247-8db2-db94ceb062f0_1.c49e8cad2b27fcc6686ba8e55dc9909d.jpeg

Sand stakes, need to guide out every line as well.  Also for a tent, don't buy cheap tents with weak poles, make sure they are made by Easton or DAC.

I used a home made version of those. They were a 1/2" bolt I think with 3/4" head and an eye near the head to tie crap down. I would use my impact to drive them into the ground and never had one pull out. They work well for tying down virtually anything in the sand or dirt.

These are what I was referring to.

SR14O2_B07ZD97YLF-01_720x.webp

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool topic, but what becomes the next weak link? Just like Cookie mentions about the EZ Up or Tent needing to be sturdy too.

Cool topic, but what becomes the next weak link? Just like Cookie mentions about the EZ Up or Tent needing to be sturdy too.
I am no expert on Ez ups, but I can help with tents since I have been selling them to retailers for over 20 years.  No tent will survive winds if the guidelines aren't tied out.  If a tent doesn't have guidelines, expect it to flatten on top of you when it gets windy.  

If you want an Ez up to survive a windy time, take the fabric off or take the EZ up down, they are a huge sail.  

I had an ez-up flit into my brand new enclosed trailer. It wasn’t really windy and all of a sudden we got a gust blow through. No time to do anything but watch. Did more that $399 in damage. I’d say those look like a good investment IMO. 

Out of the box but I think it would work in Glamis.

I watched a friend use this system (or one like it) when I was hunting in Texas. He flew his plane to the ranch. Granted we were on dirt but the way the steaks (see what I did there?) go in, I think it would hold in G.

Fast forward to 1:00 in the YT video.

$140 but you would need 2 for an EZup

Back