Stainless fuel filter cleaning

Lambro

Reaction score
Since switching to E85 a couple years ago I have been running stainless fuel filters.  The 100 micron is easy to tell if it is clean.  The 10 micron is tough.  How are you guys cleaning stainless filters.  Ultra sonic, hand cleaning with a solvent, blow out with compressed air, ???

I've never used E85, but I do have a 100 micron prefilter. I've always just sprayed solvent through it from the backside until it looked clean. I'm sure if I used an ultrasonic cleaner with the filter sitting upright so the crud could fall out of the opening, it would come out even cleaner. 

ETA I also have a 10 micron, but those are (paper? fiber?) and I just replace those whenever I see a slight drop in fuel pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never used E85, but I do have a 100 micron prefilter. I've always just sprayed solvent through it from the backside until it looked clean. I'm sure if I used an ultrasonic cleaner with the filter sitting upright so the crud could fall out of the opening, it would come out even cleaner. 

ETA I also have a 10 micron, but those are (paper? fiber?) and I just replace those whenever I see a slight drop in fuel pressure.
Ethanol base fuels will eat and degrade the paper filter.

I run E85 and a microglass 10 micron fuel filter. I swap it out every other trip. Fuel filters are cheap, engines are expensive. Also, I don't have a 100 micron pre-filter because I have the Holley Hydramat so it's not necessary. 

I run E85 and a microglass 10 micron fuel filter. I swap it out every other trip. Fuel filters are cheap, engines are expensive. Also, I don't have a 100 micron pre-filter because I have the Holley Hydramat so it's not necessary. 
I will have to check if Kinsler injection has micro glass filters for for their housings.  

i have a ultra sonic cleaner that I am going to try with the stainless filters.

Small ultrasonic jewelry cleaner will work just fine. We have a large industrial one that works great.

I bought a 6 liter ultrasonic cleaner and solution off Amazon.  It worked really well.  Filters look brand new and got a good amount of debris out.

86DB8C3C-5B51-4F9C-9101-F89AF38A9350.jpeg

A85FD36C-C392-4EFD-BB5B-463B1F37BD40.jpeg

6586319D-35FC-49D9-9094-98065E491518.jpeg

One thing to know about these ultrasonic cleaners. They can be dangerous. 

Do not stare into them while they are on and do not put your fingers or hand into them while they are running.

They will destroy the bones in your fingers. 

One thing to know about these ultrasonic cleaners. They can be dangerous. 

Do not stare into them while they are on and do not put your fingers or hand into them while they are running.

They will destroy the bones in your fingers. 
Well that is scary.  Good thing I didn’t put anything in there while it was running

Kinsler paper element I just replace it.  I use SS prefilter but with the hydramat I don’t think it will be needed.  

I run e85 with the weldon 100 micron pre pump filter and 10 micron after the pump. Clean annually with break clean. They stay very clean. Been doing it this way for 8 years with no issues. 

I have the summit racing billet 10 micron filter.  The cartridges are $15.  I replace one every oil change.  Cheap insurance!

Back