St Anthony’s Dunes in Idaho - School Me

Dockmaster

Reaction score
I want to plan a trip to St Anthony’s next year but never been there. What are some things to consider? What do I need to know? I’ve found some info on the campgrounds. I’ll be in a moho towing an enclosed. I prefer a place with hook-ups for convenience. What months are considered “in season”? I was thinking May, maybe June. Is April possible or? I prefer not too hot. Are those good months to go? Can you find your way around easy enough if never been there before? I was thinking maybe 5 days at the dunes, is that enough time to get the full experience? Anyone else considering going around the same time? 

St Anthony are the tallest, largest dunes in North America and are about 5200 ft above sea level. If you have a forced induction engine, you'll see a minimal loss in hp, if it's N/A you'll see a 20% loss in power and an increase in engine temp. due to the engine working harder. The dunes cover a smaller area than Glamis, but are more fun. The dunes to the east are baby dunes, covered in scrub brush and interspersed with lava fields. The Sand Hills resort is farthest to the east, has the most grass in the campground but you have to travel though all of the scrub brush to get to the largest dunes all the way on the west side.

Idaho Dunes RV is dirt with cement pads next to the rigs and is located roughly in the middle of the whole area and the medium sized dunes start there. Idaho Dunes and Sand Hills both have full hookup. Egin Lake is a BLM campground and is located next to Egin lake, which is a shallow body of water people sometimes drive across. The last I heard, the BLM campground has no hookups, takes no reservations and is first come/first served.

The bigger bowls to the west are really huge and made of coarser volcanic based sand. It sticks together and if you push it right, you can make it "sing" or vibrate. Some of the larger bowls actually have lava fields in the bottom of the bowl, basically all of the sand is sitting on top of a lava field.

I've been up there 3 times and each time I spent about 5 - 8 hrs to get to Vegas, slept in Vegas and took off at 8 in the morning and arrived at Idaho Dunes at about 6 pm. I always took 13 day trips - 2 days driving up, 9 days there, 2 days back.

I think most people do July 4th and later up to early Sept. trips, IIRC, there has been snow on the dunes in late April/early May in the past. Summer days up there are long, with the sun setting as late as 930 pm. Even the nights are mild, with some of the locals duning late after dark and if they break down, they just party over night and get help in the morning. Everyone I met up there was very friendly, willing to help or give good advice. In the past ID Dunes RV has ordered race fuel for guests prior to their arrival and had it delivered to their camp spot waiting for their arrival. This was a long time ago, but I hope they still do it.

Hope this helps!

Booming sand dunes, this was filmed at Dumont, but it does it at St Anthony's as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a good tour of St Anthony's. The sandy road they're on is from Idaho Dunes RV to the dune area.

Early season is best but you run the risk of bad weather. July through August will be hot and the lighting is bad for day rides. June/September are the best months for weather.

If you go when it is hot just mix in some river floats, visit bear world, Mesa falls, Island park, Yellowstone etc. Do early and late rides in the dunes.

Bring more gas than you think, or a vehicle to get to town to buy more. I can burn a 55 gallon drum in 3 days there.

Link up with folks that know the dunes if you want to get real good rides in. Tony and Mike at Idaho Dunes can either lead you or put you with one of us that are there regularly.

Sand hills is by far the best campground, but it is so far out of the good dunes most regulars dont stay there. But if you are vacationing for a week or two I would consider it. I stay at Idaho dunes exclusively. Not far from the big dunes, has a nice creek and is quiet. If you want to be right next to the big dunes then Egin is the place to be. Not sure if they have full hookups though.

This all being said Idaho dunes suck, pass it on... Its no longer a secret and the dunes get wrecked quick..

Early season is best but you run the risk of bad weather. July through August will be hot and the lighting is bad for day rides. June/September are the best months for weather.

If you go when it is hot just mix in some river floats, visit bear world, Mesa falls, Island park, Yellowstone etc. Do early and late rides in the dunes.

Bring more gas than you think, or a vehicle to get to town to buy more. I can burn a 55 gallon drum in 3 days there.

Link up with folks that know the dunes if you want to get real good rides in. Tony and Mike at Idaho Dunes can either lead you or put you with one of us that are there regularly.

Sand hills is by far the best campground, but it is so far out of the good dunes most regulars dont stay there. But if you are vacationing for a week or two I would consider it. I stay at Idaho dunes exclusively. Not far from the big dunes, has a nice creek and is quiet. If you want to be right next to the big dunes then Egin is the place to be. Not sure if they have full hookups though.

This all being said Idaho dunes suck, pass it on... Its no longer a secret and the dunes get wrecked quick..
Great info, much appreciated. How risky is weather in May? I was thinking Idaho Dunes Campground. Seems like a good balance and I prefer a bit quieter so I can get some sleep when I go to bed at 9:30 😀👍

St Anthony are the tallest, largest dunes in North America and are about 5200 ft above sea level. If you have a forced induction engine, you'll see a minimal loss in hp, if it's N/A you'll see a 20% loss in power and an increase in engine temp. due to the engine working harder. The dunes cover a smaller area than Glamis, but are more fun. The dunes to the east are baby dunes, covered in scrub brush and interspersed with lava fields. The Sand Hills resort is farthest to the east, has the most grass in the campground but you have to travel though all of the scrub brush to get to the largest dunes all the way on the west side.

Idaho Dunes RV is dirt with cement pads next to the rigs and is located roughly in the middle of the whole area and the medium sized dunes start there. Idaho Dunes and Sand Hills both have full hookup. Egin Lake is a BLM campground and is located next to Egin lake, which is a shallow body of water people sometimes drive across. The last I heard, the BLM campground has no hookups, takes no reservations and is first come/first served.

The bigger bowls to the west are really huge and made of coarser volcanic based sand. It sticks together and if you push it right, you can make it "sing" or vibrate. Some of the larger bowls actually have lava fields in the bottom of the bowl, basically all of the sand is sitting on top of a lava field.

I've been up there 3 times and each time I spent about 5 - 8 hrs to get to Vegas, slept in Vegas and took off at 8 in the morning and arrived at Idaho Dunes at about 6 pm. I always took 13 day trips - 2 days driving up, 9 days there, 2 days back.

I think most people do July 4th and later up to early Sept. trips, IIRC, there has been snow on the dunes in late April/early May in the past. Summer days up there are long, with the sun setting as late as 930 pm. Even the nights are mild, with some of the locals duning late after dark and if they break down, they just party over night and get help in the morning. Everyone I met up there was very friendly, willing to help or give good advice. In the past ID Dunes RV has ordered race fuel for guests prior to their arrival and had it delivered to their camp spot waiting for their arrival. This was a long time ago, but I hope they still do it.

Hope this helps!
This is a good write up. The only thing I would add is Egan has water and power, no sewer hook ups though. There is a free dump station on site too.

We always stay at Egan, great fast access to the dunes from there. Not as dusty as Idaho Dunes which we stayed at a couple times. Also stayed at Sand Hills our first 2 trips to St Anthony, by far the nicest campground there but a longer ways to the medium and large dunes to the west. 

Do either of the camp grounds offer a Love to Camp style trailer rental? 

Great info, much appreciated. How risky is weather in May? I was thinking Idaho Dunes Campground. Seems like a good balance and I prefer a bit quieter so I can get some sleep when I go to bed at 9:30 😀👍
It can be really good, and really bad. We have been there for memorial day weekend when it is in the 80's and pleasant. But also been there the same timeframe and its below freezing at night and 40's in the daytime. Memorial weekend is still usually the first big weekend there. Again its just hit or miss in the spring.

Idaho dunes has a strict policy. 10 pm no music. 12 pm no nothing. They will warn you and then boot you. So it makes for good sleeps!

Well I have been wanting to go to these dunes for a long time.  Starting to nail down dates.  Going to be there about august 1-4.  We are also going to glacier before.    Anyone know if it’s safe enough to leave my trailer and buggy at Idaho dunes campground for a few days.  Thinking of dropping it in a space and leaving it while we go to Montana.   Anyone else done this?   Working on some friends going but not counting on them yet.  It would be great if anyone with experience was up there to show us the ropes.   Any thoughts. Thanks. Ty.  

IMG_3951.jpeg

Well I have been wanting to go to these dunes for a long time.  Starting to nail down dates.  Going to be there about august 1-4.  We are also going to glacier before.    Anyone know if it’s safe enough to leave my trailer and buggy at Idaho dunes campground for a few days.  Thinking of dropping it in a space and leaving it while we go to Montana.   Anyone else done this?   Working on some friends going but not counting on them yet.  It would be great if anyone with experience was up there to show us the ropes.   Any thoughts. Thanks. Ty.  

View attachment 69423
I went once. I’m sure if you talk to the employees there, they will work something out. Place looked super safe to me. 

Back