Spare parts / supplies

EastMT

Reaction score
Short of bringing an entire car worth of spare parts what are the must bring spare parts to save the trip? To clarify these would be spare parts or supplies to repair the sandcar while at the dunes in case of a break down and kept in the trailer not things to be carried in the sandcar.

Zipp ties and a tow rope. Maybe a heim joint of common size on your car.

In the trailer, a decent set of tools, a complete cv joint, bolts, boot, flange, snap ring, the whole deal. Starter, Alternator, serpentine belt, tire plug kit, and some way to air up, misc nuts and bolts, hose clamps, zip ties. At least a few qts. Of oil, antifreeze, brake fluid, trans fluid, and c.v. grease, a few spare heim joints, a bunch of different electrical connector, wire, tape

The list can keep growing depending how much room you have, and how self sufficient you like to be, but for me that is the bare minimum.... 

Basic hand tools, spare CV, spare ignition chip or crank position sensor, zip ties, hose clamps, spare common heim and hardware long enough to hold it, and tie down straps to tripod out. I put it all up front to balance weight better. 

I keep everything needed to pull engine and swap clutch or throw out bearing, including fluids. Also spare ecu, starter, alt,belts, hoses,sensors, injectors, coil packs, cv joint, axle, nitrogen kit for shocks, one spare paddle tire, easy to mount on either side if needed with bead locks to save a trip. Lots of tools ! The  trailer weighs a ton extra if it's a 5 day or longer trip for me in the dunes.

In my car I carry fuses and a relay, 10' jumper wire, electrical tape, duct tape zip ties and spare belts. I have a Ryker tool roll (on Amazon $40) I set up myself with all Harbor Freight tools. .ost importantly a tow rope. 

In the trailer- dull set of plug wires and a couple clils, spare alternator, PS pump, fuel pump, fuel filters, CVs and boots, misc hardware. Also carry several clean and fresh air filters. Last season lug nuts were the big ones for our group. Had a could wheels come off (not prepped by me).

Pretty much what LRS carries. I also have a water pump, clutch slave cylinder, spare tie rods, loaded front spindles, and a loaded rear hub in the trailer.

I have never broke a water pump, but a customer did and @L.R.S. picked one up for me and delivered it, so not bad idea to have one, 

a lot of the same has been listed, but on dumont dune riders some of the locals have a list of what they have so if someone needs something they can PM each other, 

i have

• Power steering pump with the pulley on it for LS
  • Idler Pulley and tensioner pulley, 
  • spare belts 82'' 
  • spare starter, have a 104N and a 101N 
  • 1 boot, and 2 CV's 934 with extra bolts and boot flange, 
  • Extra Fuel pump for my brother in law, Bosh style, i have a A1000 extra 
  • lug nuts for the trailer and the car, wheel studs also 
  • Brake lines and fitting to make up a 12 foot brake line if i need to do a custom size 
  • CNC master cylinder 1'' 
  • Fuel Caps, Chassis shop all 3 sizes and the Empi billet, 
  • Radiator Caps 
  • one extra Rotar
  • full parts to rebuild a midboard hub --- two bearings, seal, two races, rotar, and bolts to hold it on,  
  • fuel filters
  • all the sensors,  TPS, coolant temp, IAC, Map, air temp sensor, 
  • Spare Axle 

I also have the storage boxes from Home Depot, 3 of them,  one is all Metric bolts mostly for the LS motor,  the other is all American bolts of different sizes, and the last is all the AN fittings over the years, 

Thanks guys! Thats a pretty good list to start collecting extra parts. For anyone wondering I did read the what tools/spares/recovering items do you keep in your car thread, an excellent thread.

start collecting extra parts.
Thats how the inventory grows as time goes on. After a few years like said above you soon have more parts than you wish to install but could if the beer starts to run low.

Fuel pump

Alternator

Full CV and 2 rubber boots

Fuel filter and air filter

All fluids

Starter

Alternator

Axle and clips 

Heims and Uniballs

Plugs and Plug Wires

All of my tools I use at home

Fuses and relays. 
All of my electrical connectors and lots of different gauge wire 

Flag and whips

This is all for trailer. We r never actually that far from camp. Someone in group can go back and get what’s needed and be back in 20 min. 

Friends to camp with that have as many parts as you have - variety is always nice...120v welder and a light generator to run it is a bonus to have at camp also.

Back