Sorry But I Have To Brag A Little

Dockmaster

Reaction score
I couldn’t be more proud of my 16 year old son. His first hunt and he drops a nice 5x5 Roosevelt Elk. 410 yard shot (verified) with 20 mph crosswinds and foggy. This was second morning. He kept his composure the whole time and did a great job. He already can’t wait for next year! 

For  those unaware, Roosevelt elk have smaller antlers than a comparable Rocky Mountain elk that you usually see. That’s why the rack looks smaller. But they have bigger bodies and arguably eat better too. 

920C4840-DEA7-458C-B03B-4B6C0DB48A3C.jpeg

Awesome.  So do you guys target practice at that distance and in adverse conditions to prepare for something like that? I'm just curious, as I've done a lot of target shooting but not hunting.

Awesome.  So do you guys target practice at that distance and in adverse conditions to prepare for something like that? I'm just curious, as I've done a lot of target shooting but not hunting.
We do some practice but not a ton. We have a short 100 yd range where our cabin is. Then we stop at a longer range the day before season opener to sight in and freshen up. That range goes out to 540. We sight in tight at 200 and 300 yds. Then we shoot one or two at the plincker target at 540. We have distance adjusting turrets on our scopes so  we are pretty good to 500+ yds if you can get on something and hold steady. 

that is awesome!!!!  congratulations to you both. 

You should be bragging!!! That is AWESOME!!!! Tell him GREAT JOB!!!

We do some practice but not a ton. We have a short 100 yd range where our cabin is. Then we stop at a longer range the day before season opener to sight in and freshen up. That range goes out to 540. We sight in tight at 200 and 300 yds. Then we shoot one or two at the plincker target at 540. We have distance adjusting turrets on our scopes so  we are pretty good to 500+ yds if you can get on something and hold steady. 
What round do you guys shoot? any info on the rifle used?

What round do you guys shoot? any info on the rifle used?
.300 Win Mag 180 grain. Sako A7 and Christensen rifles. I also bring a 7mm Mag as a back up gun but prefer the .300’s 

780 yards away with a 50mph cross wind, zero visibility 🤣 LOL!  Congrats !!

.300 Win Mag 180 grain. Sako A7 and Christensen rifles. I also bring a 7mm Mag as a back up gun but prefer the .300’s 
Christensen makes a damn good rifle but it still need a good shooter on the trigger! I have one in 300 win mag too, couple friends have the 7mm. 

Congrats to your Son, nice shooting!

Back