Son Learns The True Meaning Of Hard Work By Looking At His Father's Hands

Grease Monkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I posted this on the old forum.  I read this from time to time and wanted to share it here again.

A young man went to seek an important position at a large printing company. He passed the initial interview and went to meet the director for the final interview.

The director looked at his resumé, and asked, “Have you ever received a scholarship for school?”

“No,” the man replied.

“It was your father who paid for your studies?”

“Yes.”

“Where does your father work?”

“My father is a blacksmith.”

Then, the director asked the young man to show him his hands. They were soft and perfect.

“Have you ever helped your parents at their job?” the director continued.

“Never. My parents always wanted me to study and read more books. Besides, he can do the job better than I can.”

“I have a request for you,” said the director. “When you go home today, go and wash the hands of your father, and then come see me tomorrow morning.”

blacksmith-national-geographic-omrizkiblog.jpg

The young man left feeling good about the interview.

That night, when he returned home, he asked his father if he would allow him to wash his hands.

His father felt rather strange about the request, but agreed.

The young man washed his father’s hands, little by little. It was the first time that he noticed all the wrinkles and scars on his father’s hands.

Some bruises on his hands were so painful that his skin shuddered upon being touched.

It was the first time that the young man recognized what it meant for this pair of hands to have worked every day to be able to pay for his studies.

The bruises on his father’s hands were the price that he paid for his child’s education and future.

After cleaning his father’s hands, the young man stood in silence, then began to tidy up his father’s workshop. That night, the father and son talked for a long time.

The next morning, the young man returned to the director’s office. The director noticed the tears in his eyes.

“Can you tell me what you did, and what you learned yesterday?” he asked the young man.

“I washed my father’s hands. When I finished, I stayed and cleaned his workshop." He continued, “Now I know what it is to appreciate and recognize that, without my parents, I would not be who I am today. By helping my father, I now realize how difficult it is to do something on my own. I have come to appreciate the importance and the value in helping the family."

The director looked at him with an earnest expression.

“This is what I look for in my people. I want to hire someone who can appreciate the help of others, a person who knows the hardship of others. You are hired."

I totally agree. However reading and understanding are two different things. Some kids these days expect their parents to work 2 or 3 jobs to pay for their nice clothes, phones, college, cars, etc.. 
true

Loved the story!!!

Have a couple of friends who are very well off and burn money like nothing. When we touch the subject of money ( which I normally don’t like to talk about) they act as if they worked hard for what they have. A lot of them have real estate because of their. parents. They get a little upset when I tell them that collecting rent, making phone calls is not the same as applying for a loan and then making the payment. 

Although I wish I had some of their property. 

Although I wish I had some of their property. 

Me too. I wish I had a Funco! I won't ever get that kind of money so, I'm going to wear out a Honda 400EX! Then Go back to climbing a ladder. Peace

Downright beautimous story.  Nothing like acknowledging hard work, and learning what it takes to succeed at whatever you be choosing to do…give your best, cuz nobody can take that from you.  

Last edited by a moderator:
People are raising their kids completely OPPOSITE of this TOPic. I'm experiencing that as we speak. Peace

I am a firm believer your kids learn to be lazy from watching their parents, you need to be a role model in every way.  If they see you working hard, they will learn that.............

I see kids these days don't help around the house.

My brother and I had to do our chores. That consisted of yard work, rake the leaves, mow the lawn, sweep the driveway, wash the cars, clean our room, clear the table after meals.

Dad worked, mom was stay at home and did all the cooking, laundry, cleaning the main parts of the house...we would have to help vacuum and dust. 

This was more evident in summertime, where everything got the deep clean and the yard got the thorough cleaning, weeds pulled, hedges trimmed, garage cleaned...We also would then go shopping with Mom and Grandma. My brother and I each pushed a cart.

By the time I was 12 I was mowing lawns for the neighbors.

We worked and learned to appreciate making a buck. My parents ran a tight ship and they didn't put up with any crap...they ran the household.

I thought sometimes they were so mean, but to this day I thank them for how they treated us (always with respect and compassion, but stern and loving as well.)

They were our parents, not our friends!

That is the problem with today that I see...they want to be the cool parent and their kid's friend...Uh NO!

It doesn't work that way.

I totally agree. However reading and understanding are two different things. Some kids these days expect their parents to work 2 or 3 jobs to pay for their nice clothes, phones, college, cars, etc.. 
My youngest is 10, he just started 5th grade. He has no phone, while all his 5th and 6th grade friends have the newest and best smart phones... Tuesday there was an email sent to the parents from his school about some of the 5th and 6th graders being on FB and TT cyber bullying other kids. I told my son about it and said if he knew who it was to stay far away from those kids... his reply to me was I don't know dad and am REALLY GLAD I don't have a phone, I can't be in trouble for making those bad choices. He knows what up lol 

My youngest is 10, he just started 5th grade. He has no phone, while all his 5th and 6th grade friends have the newest and best smart phones... Tuesday there was an email sent to the parents from his school about some of the 5th and 6th graders being on FB and TT cyber bullying other kids. I told my son about it and said if he knew who it was to stay far away from those kids... his reply to me was I don't know dad and am REALLY GLAD I don't have a phone, I can't be in trouble for making those bad choices. He knows what up lol 
Mine didn't get theirs until Jr. HS, even then they were older non iPhone models and No Social media...

Once they get IG, TicTok, and SnapChat....it's all down hill from there.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Punkt/page/B41AEA4C-F77F-478E-9170-398D59588514?ref_=ast_bln

Back