Smoking in the dunes

Angusbeef

Reaction score
Has anyone brought a smoker out? I've thought about bringing my electric pellet smoker, only to realize I'd need to have the generator on for hours or hope the inverter could handle it.

Definitely not spending the day tending to an offset smoker.

Happy Thanksgiving!

We had a guy bring out a Pit Boss Tailgater and a bitchen battery inverter.   He smoked some ribs in his enclosed trailer. 

23B93E30-A107-4DFE-8E11-5243B881296B.jpeg

Has anyone brought a smoker out? I've thought about bringing my electric pellet smoker, only to realize I'd need to have the generator on for hours or hope the inverter could handle it.

Definitely not spending the day tending to an offset smoker.

Happy Thanksgiving!
I have a Green Mountain Grills Davey Crocket which is fairly small and it runs off of 12v. Despite how great it smokes and the dual temp. probes that are networked to your phone, I'm not going to bring it out as I originally intended. Instead, I'm just bringing an infrared BBQ grill and leftover smoked racks of ribs that I can reheat in the micro or on the grill. Faster, less hassle, etc. That's basically what I do now, just bring leftover lasagna, leftover pizza, leftover ribs, leftover spaghetti, etc. The only thing I'll cook out there is carne asada, steaks, cheeseburgers, hot links/hot dogs and maybe pulled pork in the Foodi pressure cooked, or french fries in the Foodi air fried, or fried chicken air fried or pork chops shake-n-bake and air fried. I like to eat well, but I don't want to spend hours cooking/smoking something and take the chance of dinner getting sandy from someone camp racing. 

I normally bring out my brinkman charcoal smoker to do my turkey it has done pretty good although a couple years ago the wind was nasty and went trhough charcoal i di my best to shield it got turkeys to 150 finished in oven for 20 minutes and saved them.but out of doing it out there 15 times never an issue with sand getting on the turkeys or the pork butts i smoked.And seems like everytime on tday the wind picks up.

Will prob be back at it next year

We take a Traeger tailgater to the dunes all the time.  Cook almost everything on it.  Pizza is the best👍 

Double down on the Orion cooker. It has really filled the bill for me, always producing great food and requiring no talent or effort! Seven minutes a pound for a delicious smoked turkey. Also makes great ribs and brisket in a short period of time. All you have to do is to pay attention as to when to take the food out, and even if you miss that by a whole beer it is not a big deal...

I have a green mountain grill, Davey Crockett. Runs on 12v. I have used it the dunes many times. I do a lot of tri tip in it, and for new years I'm smoking an 8 lb pork shoulder. Makes some bitchen pulled pork samitches. I can control it from my phone, and it also alerts me when it's done via meat temp sensor. 

I have a green mountain grill, Davey Crockett. Runs on 12v. I have used it the dunes many times. I do a lot of tri tip in it, and for new years I'm smoking an 8 lb pork shoulder. Makes some bitchen pulled pork samitches. I can control it from my phone, and it also alerts me when it's done via meat temp sensor. 
Have one as well..they are pretty legit.....

Isnt the power draw very small? Watt meters come in handy. Even the sticker on the unit should give the answer.

Not sure what size inverter you have. I like my 400w size with both cig plug and also clamping jaws. Easy to toss in the truck when i occasionally need to power up a laptop. Never used the jaws yet. 

Get a small 2000w generator from HF, we have a smoker in camp most years. Not sure what the draw is but I think it may run down the batteries if running it off the inverter

We smoke at the dunes or camping anywhere actually.  Pitt boss smoker and have a small firman generator to run that and any other things needed.

pork butt, ribs, pizza, bacon onion rings, basically whatever I can do.  Ribs and pork butts take some time to cook so someone is always in camp.  

smoked a brisket on my green mountain grill davey crocket (12v) for the 2nd time this yr in the dunes...you need to trim about 2 inches off the flat in order for it to fit though (small smoker).  I have pair of 12v clips to a cigarette lighter outlet that i use to plug it in (to avoid having to use the outlet in the dash).  set it and forget it.

smoked a brisket on my green mountain grill davey crocket (12v) for the 2nd time this yr in the dunes...you need to trim about 2 inches off the flat in order for it to fit though (small smoker).  I have pair of 12v clips to a cigarette lighter outlet that i use to plug it in (to avoid having to use the outlet in the dash).  set it and forget it.
And it was delicious!

Back